Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s a slow-go — and in some places a no-go — on the Gulf of Mexico this week, at least in the morning hours.
But it’s not because the fish aren’t biting, but the Air Force is bomb testing, and they have hired some of Destin’s charter boats to “man the border” area.
For the next three weeks, from 7:30-11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday, the Air Force has blocked off an area, 900 square miles, about a couple of miles due south of Destin’s East Pass.
The U.S. Air Force will be conducting air-to-ground munitions releases in the Gulf of Mexico. All vessels are required to remain clear of the hazard area during the mission periods.
Capt. Jim Westbrook and his boat the New Florida Girl is one of the boats that have been recruited to help in the exercise. He and others are helping to maintain the border around the test area.
“All mariners should be on alert,” Westbrook said.
The boundaries extend about nine miles east of the pass to near Sandestin and then 16 miles to the west toward Navarre.
So in order to get out to those hot fishing spots, charter boats have to travel a ways east or west then go south.
For a list of the coordinates for the testing area that is off limits, stop by the Destin’s Fisherman's Coopbehind Fisherman’s Wharf Restaurant. You can also see a map on our website at thedestinlog.com
Capt. Mike Eller of the Lady Em said you can plan on adding a couple of hours to your fishing trip during the morning hours to get around the testing area.
But if you’re in town and wanting to go fish, the fishing is still good.
Capt. Steve Land on the Miss Sandy and his crew stayed in close, just north of the test area and managed to reel in a nice catch of king mackerel and Spanish on Monday.
The afternoons are always open, and the weekend is coming.
See you at the docks.

This is from the Destin Log BTW...

Any one with the coordinates for boundries? Having a hard time finding them on the website....

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, nothing like blowing the gulf to hell during the rodeo.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Closure

It is ridiculous to me that this has not been a PSA annoncment closing large areas of the gom to recreational use and no one will post a map online you have to drive to Destin to see the thing it's a embarrassment in this day and age were is the TDC when you actually need them

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I strongy respect our military, but is it legal for the military to close down a public place without placing marshal law? Excuse my ignorance.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I strongy respect our military, but is it legal for the military to close down a public place without placing marshal law? Excuse my ignorance.

It is for your safety that they do this. What would happen if you were 15 miles south and a stray lazer guided bomb went astray and hit your boat. They would never hear the end of it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It is for your safety that they do this. What would happen if you were 15 miles south and a stray lazer guided bomb went astray and hit your boat. They would never hear the end of it.
Yes, you are correct but why don't they do it on a private military base? I'm thinking lawfully, I'm fine with it I was just asking a question.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Yes, you are correct but why don't they do it on a private military base? I'm thinking lawfully, I'm fine with it I was just asking a question.
If you actually find a good map you will see the bombing area South of Destin. They have been doing this off and on for a long time. I can remember years back when the jam the GPS signals too and you would have to get in with compass of alternate navigational devices, such as Loran. It is part of the deal when you have the smart bombs being developed and built right here on Eglin.

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like lobsterman said this is not a new thing, this one is lasting a lot longer than others but I've been run off quite a few times when they are testing. Usually they leave enough room to run underneath the zone if you are going west but this area looks pretty big.

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just going to have to plan on fishing afternoons. This area holds some of my best spots. Signing up for the rodeo today.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Why no go to Libya and Yemen and test them over there. If they work, great; If they don't, keep dropping them until they do.

Because Obama doesn't want to hurt any of his radical Muslim buddies in the process.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,159 Posts
sorry guld= gulf is that better sorry for type O did not know it was smart ass week i would had spell checked it
Well.... in that case is it us as you and me or US as in United States. Right click for spell check BTW.... And the military has jurisdiction over a good chunk of the GOM in this area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts