Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the sailfish and tuna being caught close to shore, I plan on trolling from the Pcola to Navarre pier. Anyone tried doing this yet? Why run to the Edge or other deeper water when we know they're being caught so close? Any ideas?
:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed ... near-shore troll saves fuel too!

The YAK reports certainly lend to some near-shore trolling vice the 60 mile round trip.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I saw a guy trolling east-west right off the 2nd sandbar the other day while I was Yakking. he came in real close just west of the pier, ran 3/4 mile or so and went back south some.

But theres no fish within the first 6 miles of the beach so you should probably just head way south:whistling::thumbup:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
They seem to be here, the piers have been catching sails almost every day for the last couple of weeks.

Now, I dont know anything about blue water trolling but do yall think that we spook them less and therefor per mile the yakkers are doing pretty good on the sails? After all, we are just a silent piece of floating debris on the water.

Ive had a sailfish come up to me and just swim around me checking me out. Of course I had lost all of my hooks already and despite having fresh caught ballyhoo with me all I could do was sit and stare right back at him. That hurt.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ive had a sailfish come up to me and just swim around me checking me out. Of course I had lost all of my hooks already and despite having fresh caught ballyhoo with me all I could do was sit and stare right back at him. That hurt.
OUCH! I wouldve cried.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Oh and trble, if you need an extra hand let me know haha. I know some specific features off Navarre Beach where Ive personally seen two sails caught two different times within yards of each other. Ive also caught two out of my three tuna there and seen several more caught there as well. Some times, as much as I love kayak fishing, being able to sit back and relax and drink some beers has its appeal. :whistling:

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
I would drift live baits or kite fish if I was in a boat trying to target nearshore sails.

Sailfish are much different than other species of bills. The reason you are hearing so many sailfish reports from inshore vs offshore isn't because its better to target them from a kayak, its because there are far more inshore than out further around the nipple and similar areas. There is a ton of bait inshore and once they are pushed in, there's nowhere for them to go. The Sailfish have this seasonal routine built into them. Once water temps cool down on the beach, you will start seeing the same groups of sailfish out around the 50 fathom edge.

I will say one thing about a sailfish, whether its inshore or offshore, once they're in chase of a lure or bait its hard to get them off of it. Several yrs ago off of Marathon I hooked the same fish 4 times before getting it to stay hooked. Once they want to eat something, they're going to eat it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I was going to fish a boat in that area I would kill the engines and drift live baits rather than troll
This idea worked for me, Not for any sails, but as far as easy fishing goes... turn the engine off, turn the music up and wait to yell FISH ON!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Drift fishing near or offshore can be very productive for all species of fish.
I drift fish live bottom, and when current and boat traffic allow, drift fish the Pass. Use both live and dead baits at different depths, including top water and the bottom.
As posted, it can be very relaxing and very productive. Inshore like the Pass, keep and eye on the water depth, or you can "relax" your butt on a sandbar or Jetty real quick!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.