Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
left out of Sherman cove yesterday afternoon. water didn't look to bad so we headed out to the pass to fish around the pass. got out just a little past ft pickens and decided to fish in the bay instead and as I turned the boat around a wave came over the bow and swamped my boat. my 2 fishing buddies grabbed buckets as I threw the throttle wide open to push the bow out of the water and to get the water to run out the back. I was about knee deep in water inside mt 17 ft cape horn. talk about a sh*tty decision to go out. Murphey was definatly with me yesterday on the boat. anyhow after that we just headed back into sherman cove and put the boat back on the trailer. had enough scare from that to ruin the fishing itch. lots of bonita in the pass but could not get them to bite. at least we didn't go for a swim

·
Banned
1,645 Posts
glad to see you got back alright!

that is an awful feeling when the water gets deep inside the boat!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know that feeling well. I took a wave just outside of bayou chico and filled up my Key West. As long as you can maintain headway you will be allright. Next time you are in the bonitos try a small diamond jig tied straight to your mono. A small white ny-lure will also work.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea well it is a crappy feeling to turn your boat into a submarine for a minute or two.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have taken one over the bow before but not that bad. Glad to hear you are back and safe. I wouldve put the boat back on the trailer after that too. That some scary STUFF.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep. We had the same problem. Got caught in a storm 20 miles offshore in my 20 foot boat. Buried the bow coming down a wave.It gets your attention. Glad you are safe!

·
Banned
1,645 Posts
FreeLine (3/25/2008)Yep. We had the same problem. Got caught in a storm 20 miles offshore in my 20 foot boat. Buried the bow coming down a wave.It gets your attention. Glad you are safe!

yup...me too...over one, through the next for 5 miles....

luckily it was an open transom Robalo....knee deep, dry, knee deep, dry, knee deep, dry, knee deep, dry, :reallycrying

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Good job! Been there many times. I consider it part of the fishing experience in my little boat.Unfortunately I can't be as picky with my dayssince I'm not local.Now you know it isn't the end of the world if you take a wave or two over the bow and you will be more confident next time it happens. You did exactly the right thing. Next time trim it up some and throttle up enough to keep the bow up before you get in the bad stuff.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I said this before on another thread, but here I go again.

There's not a fish out there worth drowning yourself or your family/friends for by taking a little boat to the pass/gulf when conditions are not right. Why take a chance when conditions are bad or marginal? There are plenty of nice days coming up. March is the worst!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
you fish enough, it WILL happen to you. Do Not think it's a small boat thing cause it ain't. The experience will make you a better boater and better able to handle it in the future. Glad all ended up well!

·
Registered
78 Posts
HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME AND A FRIEND IN PERDIDO BAY ON ROUGH DAY BOAT WENT DOWN WITH 25 JOHNSON RUNING IT WAS A SMALL 14 FIBERGLASS BOAT LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON NEVER GO FISHING ON EASTER SUNDAY (SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN CHURCH) THIS WAS 5 YEARS AGO. I PURCHASED A 2005 18FT SEACHASER ROLLGUNNEL SERIES LAST SUMMER AND AM VERY FREAKED ABOUT TAKING ONE OVER THE BOW KNOWONE CAN GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON HOW THESE BOATS TAKE A GOOD WAVE. ITS A CAROLINA SKIFF BOAT IT WONT SINK MY ASS THATS NOT THE POINT LIKE DFA SAID PICK YOUR DAYS DONT BE:doh

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Glad you were OK!!!

Turning around in the pass on a rough day is very risky and sometimes its better to run out a bit and then turn around. It's it 5 foot offshore, it could be 10 foot in the pass with the right wind and currents. Not something you want to turn around in and be beam sea or following sea or any sea while off the throttles! Running out a ways will "usually" show you some calmer water or get you into wave sets that are not as close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts