Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont use climbing sticks a whole lot, but I do occasionally in areas that have trees that are not climber friendly or where I just cant see good enough from the ground. (Mostly use during archery season).

Any way, I had my only set of sticks stolen last year after leaving them on a tree on public land (hope whoever got em falls outta tree and breaks their neck) so I have got me a new set of Hawk Heliums.

They come with buckle straps, the straps do the job but can be a PIA to use, and the buckles make a lot of noise, Ive seen the rope mod and daisy chain mod and Im going to be to trying one or the other soon. (Leaning toward the daisy chain mod mainly due to ease of use and there is no clanging around like with the strap buckles.

So, with all that being said, anybody use sticks regularly and done anything to them to make em more “user friendly” or “better”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I did it the rope mod to my hawk sticks but you need to machine down the button so the rope bites each other. I just stuck the button on a lathe and turned it down some. Don’t remember how much. Also I added 2 step aiders to be able to get higher.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I put a cam cleat on my hawk mini with full bury rope mod . go to eastern woods outdoors they sale em I have not used it yet so can’t say how good it works but lots of YouTube stuff showing them on sticks. I hunt from a saddle now and use the 1 stick climbing method and repel down and you are right the stuff they come with are a pain in the butt to use.. good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im running lone wolf sticks. I haven't tried the rope mod yet, but opted to wrap sticks and the buckles in stealth strips..So far so good, the wrap hasn't peeled at all with leaving them in the woods sometimes. They also help with your grip when its cold or wet. Plan on getting an aider or two so i don't have to pack 4 sticks in.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The last few years I used the Muddy Pro's with the cam buckle, it was nice and worked well but the sticks where a little bulkier and heavier than what I wanted. Adding cams to your heliums would just be extra weight I wouldn't want to deal with. I'm running the OAL Shikars this year with the button style attachment. I've tried both the 5/8 mini flat strap that came with them and the Tethrd versa link, both work great but I will probably stick with the flat straps. Adding a versa button and going rope mod or daisy chain is the way I would go if I where you. I kind of prefer the rope mod style just because you can get it things a little tighter if needed.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
All my stands get ratchet straps on them including a couple sticks and strapping gets change out every couple years ....they are out all year
The crap straps that come with them just are good enough

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last few years I used the Muddy Pro's with the cam buckle, it was nice and worked well but the sticks where a little bulkier and heavier than what I wanted. Adding cams to your heliums would just be extra weight I wouldn't want to deal with. I'm running the OAL Shikars this year with the button style attachment. I've tried both the 5/8 mini flat strap that came with them and the Tethrd versa link, both work great but I will probably stick with the flat straps. Adding a versa button and going rope mod or daisy chain is the way I would go if I where you. I kind of prefer the rope mod style just because you can get it things a little tighter if needed.

Just for chits and giggles, I removed the buckle from the strap and just used the strap to bind on itself like you would the rope mod, then tied a safety in it leaving a loop. Tried it in a tree at the house and seemed to work good.

I may try this a time or 2 before I try the daisy chains.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts

Just for chits and giggles, I removed the buckle from the strap and just used the strap to bind on itself like you would the rope mod, then tied a safety in it leaving a loop. Tried it in a tree at the house and seemed to work good.

I may try this a time or 2 before I try the daisy chains.

Nice. Take a look at the mini flat straps from out on a limb, the bite really well and are easy to tie/untie. They’re like $7 each I think, might save a little money over amsteel for the rope mode.

If you happen to make it over this way anytime soon holler at me and you can try out the mini straps I have, I also have the tethrd versa straps and versa links (both basically daisy chains) you can try out too.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
Just buy a 50’ 7,000lb tow rope and cut it into 4 pieces. Make a loop in one end and you have a rope mod for all four sticks for $20.
Line Font Automotive tire Auto part Fashion accessory

1 - 12 of 12 Posts