Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wirelessly posted

Hey guys I had a gorilla climber a few seasons ago and sold it thinking I was moving out of the area , I'm looking for a climber that's lightweight and quiet so with that said which climber should I buy and why ?

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,833 Posts
Cougar claw. Made locally, light weight, and very comfortable
Cougar claw must have come a ways since the mid '90's. Not saying they arent any good today, but I know what they used to be, I still walk with a limp today because of one that broke on me and slipped in '97 that resulted in a broke ankle and torn ligaments . . .
Hard to go wrong with a ol man, Ive had Summits, API's, Lone Wolfs, and that old Cougar claw that about killed me, and I'd take an Old Man over any of them (Alumalite)

·
PFF Official Referee
5,244 Posts
There is a little search button on the top right hand side of the page do a search like "treestand" or "cougar claw" we have discussed this hundreds of times.... Lots of info on the stands....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Cougar claw must have come a ways since the mid '90's. Not saying they arent any good today, but I know what they used to be, I still walk with a limp today because of one that broke on me and slipped in '97 that resulted in a broke ankle and torn ligaments . . .
Hard to go wrong with a ol man, Ive had Summits, API's, Lone Wolfs, and that old Cougar claw that about killed me, and I'd take an Old Man over any of them (Alumalite)
The originals were no good from what I've heard but the new one's are top notch. I refuse to use the Ol Man's, those are the most uncomfortable stands I have ever sat in...to each his own though

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,833 Posts
The originals were no good from what I've heard but the new one's are top notch. I refuse to use the Ol Man's, those are the most uncomfortable stands I have ever sat in...to each his own though
I just looked at the new ones, they have definately made some changes, they look comfortable for sure !:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,575 Posts
I climb with the biggest "death trap" of a stand there is... a classic steel Ole man...

Personally, I think it's great. I never have any doubts with it. I climb pines, oaks, hard woods... hell it doesn't matter.

I always climb with my harness. You should do that with any climber you get.

That being said, just get a summit viper and be done with it. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Hey guys I had a gorilla climber a few seasons ago and sold it thinking I was moving out of the area , I'm looking for a climber that's lightweight and quiet so with that said which climber should I buy and why ?
It all depends on want you wanting to do.

I like the Gorilla's because the are cheap and pack flat. It is a pain in the rectum carrying a Summit(or any other) stand through thick woods that has a large profile.
The Ol'Man's pack flat as well but they can get expensive.
If I am hunting an open area, I like my Summit cause it is so comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
28,157 Posts
Won't go into details due to the SEVERAL threads on stands but will say SUMMIT!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Someone last year told me get a treewalker, I bought it and love it. Google treewalker and check them out I've climbed all kinds of climbers these are by far the best.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Buckshot/Equalizer is the best stand I have ever used, but unfortunately, they could not get enough pre-orders to reopen their factory this year. They are looking for investors, so there is a chance they get back in business.
http://www.buckshotmfg.com/climbingtreestands.aspx

Anyway, whatever stand you get, make sure you can adjust it once you get to your hunting height. It doesn't matter how much "up" angle you put into the stand at the base of a tree, the bottom platform will be angled down as you get above 15' or so on the typical pine tree....making it uncomfortable and unsafe.

If I didn't have my Equalizers, I would either have to limit how high I can climb smaller pines or not use a climber.

·
Hell Yeah!!
191 Posts
IMHO, Summit is the benchmark other stands compare themselves to. I had several stands before I bought my Summit Viper and wonder what I was thinking before. I have never felt this safe or stable in another stand. When I got my Summit, I gave my Loggy Bayou to my son. After using it one time, I immediately bought a Summit for my son and gave the Loggy away because I realized how inadequate the other stand had been. I didnt know how good good could be. If you buy something else, you'll never know.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts