Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,803 Posts
Don't want to get a finger or hand in front of the business end of that knife! Pretty amazing... a whole lot easier when you make the first cut around the ribs!

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
This guy should get a move on. Wasting a lot of time.

So, now we know where a lot of these Bulls that we are raising and preserving, in Florida, end up. I remember when the commercialization of Redfish just about wiped out the specie in the Gulf. Reproductive age fish being commercially slaughtered spawned the whole 'blackening' craze because that is the only way that fish this size are really palatable.

Cajuns won't even eat Redfish this size and they will normally eat anything big enough to die.

I just hate seeing this. Stewart Campbell would roll over in his grave. I don't think this is why he started the Gulf Coast Conservation Association. Now the CCA.

·
Registered
247 Posts
bull reds

i cant speak for Florida or the other gulf states but in Alabama the bulls over the slot are being harvested by rec fisherman in abundance. I see it on the dixey sand bar every year. I do keep the slot size but always try to release the big bulls. They are the breeding stock and I don't know why Alabama allows us to keep an over size bull at all. The limit should be plenty enough to enjoy within the slot. We are going to go bust on them again if this keeps up. I am a rec fisherman and don't want to come across the wrong way because I know we are getting screwed in our own waters with the reef fish but do feel strongly about the bull red future population.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Before this commercial craze for Redfish started in the late 70s, Louisiana Fisheries documented a Redfish they captured that weighed 77 lbs. and was 38 years old. In 1995, North Carolina Fisheries captured a Redfish that weighed 94 lbs. and was 56 years old.

I don't know about most people on this forum but I would like to catch a 94 lb. Redfish. Don't get me wrong. I love to eat slot Redfish; especially those at the bottom end of the slot but these Bulls.........I can't really get excited about killing them for cat food and fast food fish sandwiches.

Fifty percent of males reach maturity at age 2 yrs. and 100% by 3 yrs. of age. Same with females but a year later....3 and 4 yrs. I think we have a great program in Florida and I don't begrudge Alabama recreational fishermen their one Bull per day but it's not for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
bull reds

not saying I begrudge either but am saying I have watched it on the sand bar every year now where some get as many people in a boat that they can, and make at least two trips a day. If an over the slot is stressed and its not going to make it then by all means take it and try to eat what can be ate. I am just concerned that we are being allowing to kill our valuable breeder stock. Don't know if you have seen the sand bar in Sept/Oct/Nov time frames but they are being fished hard and being harvested.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Thanks for the video Tom!

You thread hijackers...... pppfffffttt!

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Yeh, thanks Tom. Sorry for the hijack; but after saying 'Man is he ever fast', what more can we say........'Man, I love the fact that they are slaughtering 30 lb. Bull Reds even though they are each 10 years old.'

That's about 330 lbs. of fish laying on that table and 110 years on this earth.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh, thanks Tom. Sorry for the hijack; but after saying 'Man is he ever fast', what more can we say........'Man, I love the fact that they are slaughtering 30 lb. Bull Reds even though they are each 10 years old.'

That's about 330 lbs. of fish laying on that table and 110 years on this earth.
No problem, the hi-jack is warranted, as the subject is interesting to me.

This Video was captured at CoCo Marina, http://www.cocomarina.com

Which is a Fishing Resort in Cocodrie, LA

I am most familiar of the Red Fish diminished population of the late 70's, and it has nothing to do with "Blackened Red Fish"

It has everything to do with Vietnamese Fisherman which came home with the end of the Vietnam Conflict/War. They used long nets, I mean miles of nets in the GOM and rounded huge schools of Red Fish.

They were unable to harvest them all, and thousands and thousands died in the nets. You could ride in the GOM and see miles and miles and miles of dead Red Fish Floating everywhere, and it smelled very bad.

The Red Fish Population is making a huge come back in South Louisiana. The limit is 5 per person, with one over slot.

I have fished there the past two years a few times, and it is fun to do so. And they are great to eat on the half shell, IMHO.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And check out this one from my August Trip, caught on the East Side of the Mississippi River from Empire, in Quarantine Bay.

The river has been released and is flowing into the marsh land, and it is now brackish water. The Red Fish are thriving there big time.

Red Fish.jpg

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
That fish has some amazing colors! Im glad the limit is the way it is but wish they made it up to 30 inches. I have only caught a handle full of slots and it seems most of the ones i catch are always barely over the limit. Bull reds are a pain to clean and the meat isn't near as good as the smaller fish and with them being the breeders I don't see any reason to keep them. I primarily catch and release everything I catch and go for the fight and not food but some fried redfish is dang good!

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
And check out this one from my August Trip, caught on the East Side of the Mississippi River from Empire, in Quarantine Bay.
The river has been released and is flowing into the marsh land, and it is now brackish water. The Red Fish are thriving there big time.
That is a beautiful fish. I love it over there. Shoot some ducks in the morning, catch redfish before brunch and on good days, catch a few YFT before the end of the day. Where else can that happen.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The only meat he supposedly "wastes" are the ribs, which most discard anyways. With that big a fish though, the ribs can be grilled and eaten like chicken wings, or ribs, which he may have done. Very tasty too. Use buffalo marinade, or any barbecue sauce. Throw the throat on the grill along with the ribs, and you have a real treat. And don't let anyone tell you the bull reds aren't as good as the slots. They are as I can testify from experience elsewhere.

IMO, the regs here in Florida should allow one bull, as our neighboring states allow. Is that likely to ever happen here?... Although our breed stock is healthy, I doubt it. Once a restriction is imposed, as we have seen with Red Snapper, it tends to remain restricted. Even when there is overwhelming evidence of a rebound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts