Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Cleaning my pistol

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Big B 
#1 ·
Bought a 9mm about 6 months ago and have shot it 3 or 4 times, about 200 rounds each outing. I bought a cheap cleaning kit with it but don't know exactly what I need to do to keep it in good shape. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
hayden (2/20/2010)do you guys disassemble your handguns after each outing to clean?
If I shot a good amount of rounds through it I do. I clean my guns every couple months regardless if I shoot it or not, especially my carry guns. If you have a large amount of rounds through it and it dirty it will affect the function of the gun big time.

#7 ·
I always tear mine apart and clean it thouroghly after each range session. Be sure you use a gun cleaner and not some random degreaser you have around the house as these can strip the bluing off a gun, assuming of course that its blued. I had a buddy that used Greased Lightning to clean one of his shotguns, that didn't end well. lol

#8 ·
A carry auto that is concealed in cotton pants such as jeans should be cleaned often due to lint build up. I clean my Glock more often than my 1911 because the Glocks are easier to disassemble. I always at least clean the barrels because I shoot cast reloads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.