Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard about this for awhile and was thinking out loud.... Is this a good or bad idea?? ... Let's hear the pros and cons...

Didn't Jacksonville do this years ago with Duvall Co??

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
look at it this way...if they do then that means that there are now new things for the county to screw up and vise versa

·
Registered
692 Posts
Bad idea for all involved.

The City wants more services, more regulations (needs more regulations due to the population density), and has higher taxes.

The county residents live outside the city by choice. They (we) do not want the city's codes, regulations, or taxes.

THe 'pitch' is that the government would be 'streamlined'.... bureaucrats hold on to power... and their salaries.

Consolidation is a scam... I hope it does not pass...

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Yes Jacksonville/Duval county is now as one. Done many years ago...it's the largest city area wise in the US. I don't know about Florida but Calera annexed a big chunk of land andmy subdivision is in that area. We don't have to be annexed unless we want to. It screws people over...taxed for services not rendered. Greedy bastards. That is why I moved out awayfrom the city limits.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
We are getting more government than we can AFFORD as it is.

I have never, in my 71 years, seen more corrupt, incompetent, politicians who could care less why they were elected. We have elected new folks who promise to clean up the county, but who soon succumb to the entrenched bureaucracy and the opportunity to line their pockets. I lived 32 years in Southern California and never witnessed such waste of the taxpayers' dollar. Ibuilt a home in Mexico in 1980, am a legal Mexican with a "Green Card" and passport, so know the system there. Everyone in Mexico has an equal opportunity, if you have the pesos. La Mordita works and everyone knows it. Hereour elected officialsprofess to be so honest, yet how many have been indicted, removed from office or served time?

Consolidation of some governmental services can improve levels of service at a lesser cost and has worked in some cases. I am dubious it would work here. The main purpose of government is public safety and this is where service can be improved at less cost, however, the chances are slim, at best. There are too many "turfs", thus too many chiefs who are not going to allow their "kingdom" to be threatened.

I think we all need to demand our elected representatives "represent" us and reduce costs by eliminating unneeded "services".

I know some of you are in the construction business, some unemployed and without income, yet with building permits down, how many building inspectors have been laid off?

I have volunteered to serve on several appointed boards since I have been a resident of Escambia County, but despite my credentials, have never been chosen. Why? I have never been a cash contributor to the elected officials.

ENUFF!

:usaflag

·
Registered
817 Posts
There really is no reason for consolidation now that the new charter for Pensacola was approved. I wouldn't hang my hat on consolidating services. When has the government EVER made services more efficient and taxes effectively reduced? It would make sense for Pensacola to annex a larger portion of the area (say up to 9 mile or so).

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I don't know if it will be the same but when Miami and Dade county did that we were no longer aloud to shoot our guns. We lost our right to dove hunt the fields in the Redlands where i lived. The city had a rule of no discharging firearms and it carried over.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
i'm pretty sure there would have to be a referendum and have to be voted on by the residents (tax payers) of escambia county and the city...it's been brought up many times and has always failed...don't see it happening...at least i hope not...

·
Registered
817 Posts
BloodyWaters (12/29/2009)unfortunately annexation is not the answer. we will still have the same morons in office, but running a larger area. The City and the County are both at a loss when it comes to improving the environment and live's of it's citizens. DONT TRUST ANY COUNTY WITH THE WORD "SCAM" IN IT.

I'll have to disagree with you there. We have a lot of new blood in the City and they are making some headway. Unfortunately the City has very limited power due to lack of finances. The big money (and power) remains in the County. I have seen very little improvement in County politics.

·
Registered
675 Posts
<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I've always held to one rule.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Those that can "DO"<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Those that can't "teach"<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Those that can't teach "Consult"<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">And those that can't consult go into "Politics". Pensacola is a prime example of this rule!!!<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Not picking on teachers either both my daughters are teachers and I'm proud of both of them I mainly referring to some college professors I remember.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I live in the City and love being close to everything.I lived in the county in MS. This is just a grab to raise County taxes. My taxes here are outrageous. Let people decide if they want to live in the City and pay the cost. It shouldn't be mandated.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Lived in Jax for 16 years. In that consolodated environment it was run like a city with a mayor and city council making all the decisions (as opposed to a board of commissioners).Didn't seem too bad there. Sanitation, water,electric (JEA), and sherrifs office were the big services I recall being run by the city - butsounds like in Escambia, only sherrifs office and the other typical stuff (zoning, permitting, etc) would be the services consolidated.

I haven't been overly impressed with the efficiencyand vision ofthe city (Pcola) or the county (Escambia) so not sure how consolidation would turn out - believe it depends more on the people involved since there's probably limited savings that could come from service consolidation. There's so much fractured management ofbusiness development and tourism there with the various chambers and economic development groups - that's where I would start consolidating.

my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts