Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
no. at least I dont. You are over thinking this, use a swivel. Are you hooking the cig or letting the hooks dangle next to it when trolling? Dont hook em, and use a swivel. Leave the tail....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not? Yes I use a swivel and just use the front hook not the stingers. I pinch the tail all the time when bottom fishing so I just figured why not when trolling. It's not that hard, honestly I was thinking it would put a little more stank in the water. Not over thinking just trying to maximize catches and minimize twist.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Use good swivels. I prefer ball bearing swivels over barrel swivels. Even the cheap Tsunami Wal-Mart ball bearing swivels are decent. Just be sure to give each one a test before you put it on your rig as Ive found a dud or two.

I dont dangle the hooks nor pinch the tail. I put the two stingers in the back. I mostly use fresh dead but if frozen I make sure they are thawed and straight before using. After I put them on my rig I let out a couple feet of line and run the bait through the water with my rod and look for any twist. If they test I make some adjustments and move on. Not too hard really. Its impossible to entirely avoid though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am by no means a trolling master but every time I have left the trailing hook not in the tail I have lost my cig. Every time I have hooked both into the cig I have caught one. Well, maybe a few we're cut off at the braid but I would have to say almost all mine were caught with both hooks in the bait. I used the trailing hook method this past weekend and lost my bait 4 times. Just my experience.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I don't pinch the tails, but it wouldn't hurt. I don't think the kings will care either way. Whatever works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts