Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, we used these to keep cigar minnows trolling straight, instead of pinwheeling. I can't find any at any sporting stores or online. Outcast told me that folks who made them went out of business years ago. A fire a couple of years back destroyed all of mine. Is there any replacement being sold. Also, I need something to keep mullet straight too! I am afraid that I will have to make my own for mullet to keep them from pinwheeling.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I may have a "Mino-Troll" around here.

I took the inventor, Paul Pence to test them on my boat in the early 60's. They worked well and were easy for a duffer to rig a straight pulling bait.

If I can find one, I'll make a few "knock offs" for you. They are no longer available and I know Paul is long dead. As I recall, Paul sold the rights to the Mino-Trol to Fairwaters or some-such.

Rattle my cage soon to see if I've found one.

I've used a "Destin Safety pin" rig. since I was a puppy and, believe me, that was a long time ago. That is probably the same "Box" rig that somebody mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I use what I call the 3 hook rig connect 3 hooks in line but only use first hook in to of the head of cigar. Used it my entire life with excellent results. One caution is you MUST use good flash frozen minnows !

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use what is called the Destin Rig, hooks are not in the bait but beside the bait. Wire goes through the eyes and back through the duster or skirt. Been using it for a lot of years, doesn't spin....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use what is called the Destin Rig, hooks are not in the bait but beside the bait. Wire goes through the eyes and back through the duster or skirt. Been using it for a lot of years, doesn't spin....
Thanks to all. I wonder if these rigs or ones larger could be used with small mullet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts