Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team Chunky Luv made it out today to compete in the tournament. Or, was it Team Chunky Spirit??

Aboard were me, HateCheese, Capt. Kevin of the holy Spear-It, and of course, Clay.

We'd all had plans that shifted several times, and Clay ended up without a team for the tourney. I got a call around 5:00 a.m. today, as did Kevin. Clay was feverishly trying to fill out a team. I'm glad everything came together and we put it all together.

We headed out to our farthest, deepest spots first... somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 to 36 miles out of Perdido Pass. Clay and Kevin brought some nice fish to the boat on the first dive... a great start to the day. One of Kevin's snapper on this dive weighed in at about 22.35... Nice! It's currently residing in 3rd place on the tourney board. Kev also got a nice red grouper that was 15 or 16 pounds. I believe it's on the board as well.

On the next dive, HateCheese and I rolled and dropped to nearly 130 ft. It was a little murky at depth and we never did see the reef. But we saw fish... LOTS OF FISH. Out of the cloud of red snapper, I found a nice one... no wait he's not nice, he's BIG. We played for a bit, I tried to position myself for a good shot, he tried to not give me a good shot. Finally, bam! I nailed him. Oh oh, I didn't kill him, he's pissed. And big.

As I start pulling him in, to finish the job, I see another LARGER snapper. I immediately started feeling "buyer's remorse" because I shot the "small" one. I'm yelling at Paul through my reg and pointing frantically at the other big snapper, all the while, still trying to kill and string my fish. Paul made a good shot but hit a harder area and didn't get good penetration I guess. He was trying to get the fish under control but it eventually managed to thrash itself free. Mine weighed in at 24.45 and is currently in 1st place. Paul's fish, had hewon the fight, would have beaten mine by at least a couple of pounds!

We hit another spot but didn't see anything even close to whatwe already had in the box so we didn't shoot. On the next dive, which turned out to be the last, I saw 3 huge fish. 2 snapper and 1 grouper. They were very skittish though and disappeared into the reef before I could get within shootingrange.We called the dive expecting to hit one more spot before runningin to make the weigh-in.

On the way to the next spot,The Luv Boat started experience some technical difficulties... starboard engine was not running well. We made the decision to head for home on one engine, and we barely made it to the scales on time... ok, maybe we had 10 minutes to spare, but when your top speed is about 13, that's pushing it! At least we had good seas on the ride back.

Here are acouple of pics from the day.

Group Photo

Sunset while racing in at a Blistering 13.6 miles per hour... on one engine.

Guess I should have brought my big cooler...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
wooooooow.!!!! that's awesome. check out the size of that cooler....I mean snapper....excellent!!!! great guys.... I don't care if my engine crippled after catching that much fish....I would put it as the opportunity cost...great report. Thank you .

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I think I've discovered a new way to make fish look bigger in pictures!!

Instead of holding them way out in front of you, all a fisherman has to do is try to cram the fish into a small cooler, take a picture, and tell everyone it was a 150 qt cooler, not a 50 qt.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and I forgot to mention Kev's trigger. He shot a monster that was around 8.6 pounds... that's the biggest trigger I've ever seen! Unfortunately, there was no Trigger division on the tourney board. That fishwould, without a doubt, win.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Nice snappers, too bad it wasn't groupers.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Damn you Clay!

Didn't go out on Friday, and then you go out and kill all the big ones on Saturday. I probably killed 20 snappers and still wound up with less meat than those big ones yall brought in.

I was ready to brave it on Friday. The internet waves were big, but it turned out that the "actual" waves were not so bad. They are not doing so well with this whole "forecasting" thing lately. Foreceast went from 1-3 to 5-7 in 1 hour and then back down to 2-4 by morning. How does that happen?

Anyway, glad yall had a good trip. I have those high cap mags for you whenever you want to meet up and get them. I'm off tomorrow if you want to meet up somewhere.

Chris

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The final results are in...

I took 1st place snapper!

Kevin did very well also: 2nd place grouper, 3rd place snapper, and (I think) 3rd place cuda.

Hell he may have even won another prize, I'm not sure. He was up there a lot! That guy is a spearfishin machine!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, if I remember correctly, the only fish that came off private numbers were the triggers.

I'm not positive though, my role in running the boat was minimal.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Man what a great trip!

Yeah, we hit 2 private numbers, but one the fish instantly hid inside and did not allow a shot, and the other private number was good for 3 triggers when kevin and I dropped on it.

All the other fish came off one spot, The 3 red snappers, big black snapper, and the red grouper. 5 fish off one spot, first Felix and Paul hit it, then me and Kevin. And we left to more fat ones down there for next time!

Sucks the foot problem on one motor, but we made it back!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
lobsterman (10/27/2007)Nice snappers, too bad it wasn't groupers.

:moon Firckin Jackass. The guys go out get a great trip - report it with pics and that's the sum totoal of your inpuit? PM me back if you want to rant but Good God man these guys did great and killed some nice fish!

Team Chunky Love, you guys rock!! That's a nice mess of fish and great pics! What tournament was it? Been TDY and out of it for a bit but looking for a call or post that folks are heading out.

If you find yourself looking for "Gun Slingers" again...

Bob, Stressless, Navarre, 974-8363, 4xguns and lots of tanks looking to go: Call ... Please :heart

Great Report and 1 Q) Did you find any hooks in their mouths? :)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Stressless (10/28/2007)
lobsterman (10/27/2007)Nice snappers, too bad it wasn't groupers.

Firckin Jackass. The guys go out get a great trip - report it with pics and that's the sum totoal of your inpuit? PM me back if you want to rant but Good God man these guys did great and killed some nice fish!

You know, I had the same thought when I read that post...I just wasn't going to say anything. It seems to be the norm with some folks that no matter how good a report or thread is, they just want to inject some sort of negativity to it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts