Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Choctaw river bream

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FishWalton 
#1 · (Edited)
Spent yesterday morning on the Choctawhatchee River fishing for bream. Splashed at Smokehouse Lake. After leaving the ramp we were greeted by a zillion yellow flies all the way to the river, a two mile run. In the rrun through the woods they were thick as hair on a dogs back., but let up when we got to the open river. However, we did encounter areas on the river where they would attack.

The river is in perfect fishing condition. The level has dropped to what we have been waiting for for months and the color is starting to turn green. However, weather reports are indicating that may change in a few days.

Best bite was in the river itself. We fished with a bream buster and crickets between the smokehouse/riverr confluence up to half-mile lake and back, Ended up with a half box (36) really nice keepers and released that many or more. Worms did not work wel.l.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Me and my neighbor took our boys (3 & 4) last Saturday. Launched at black creek. Conditions were perfect and we found a few bluegill and a few shellcrackers. I’ve never seen the parking lot so slammed though. Trucks were parking way up the road. Didn’t get into the yellow flies though, thank goodness.

#5 ·
This time of year BCL is always jammed on weekends. If the parking lot was overflowing there may have been a bass tournament or two in progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.