Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<SPAN class=postbody>Went to Destin on Wed night and stayed through Sun morning. I got super burned on Saturday, but before that I had some good and some bad fishing. Started out I wanted to get a pomp with the long rod on the beach, but learned when I got there that wouldn't be possible. Surf was big and winds were stiff when we arrived and it stayed that way till sat morning. Went to the jetties at destin pass on thu morning and saw this:

I was thinking I should have rented a surfboard instead of trying to fish. Also, the winds were pretty stiff from behind me while casting, so I mangled one of my new poppers, and lost a couple other flies hitting the rocks thanks to the wind. Left there after about an hour and a half and went to a place called calhoun park just north of the pass bridge. Waded there a bit, but 90% of the grass was out a little deeper than I felt comfortable going, so i had no luck...rats.

Friday morning was a new day. I drove back across the toll bridge to go up to niceville and borrow the dinghy off my dad's sailboat. on the way there i saw a turn to a park just to the left so i took it, pulled out my trusty hotspot map of choc bay, and saw that there was a good bit of grass around in 2-5 feet of water. only problem with that day was the weather. it prevented me from taking a pic of the biggest speck trout i've ever caught. i never got a bite on my red-head popper flies, but caught 5 trout (3 keeper sized) and 2 ladyfish on a red-headed mirrolure top dog jr. The big boy was about 3.5lbs and was a bit longer than my forearm with fingers extended. I was about 300 yards from the truck when I cuaght it so i didn't want to keep it out of the water long enough to head back and get the camera. To prove I had a good reason not to take the camera, I took these when I was done, it was a pretty impressive front and made for some great pics:

Figured I'd go back to the same spot sat morning, and got skunked. Weather was much prettier though:

<SPAN class=postbody>all in all a satisfying trip...except for the burn, ouch.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Did you have your fly rod out early Sat. morning? Mark and I stopped off on the same beach that morning and someone was working down the beach heading to the west, had a back pack that you had to go back and get every once in a while. We did better when we went around the point.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that sounds like me. i did have a backpack and the 8wt. I caught a trout and 2 ladies on the west facing bank, and all 3 keepers and a dink on the south facing side b/w the point and the bridge, closer to the point

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Sounded like a pretty fun time! The points are always fun in the early am to me. I shut down and motor into them by trolling motor from about a half mile out so to stay quiet!

Tight Lines!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts