Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved some ladder stands Friday & Sat. and got myself ate up with Chiggers . I wore long sleeve shirt ,hat, long pants,snake boots and had a buff on around the neck and they still got me . What to do ???????????

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hate chiggers

I don't think a Thermacell will have any affect on chiggers. I use this stuff on my clothes and boots (I use it during bow season too). I still get chiggers occasionally but I have no doubt it helps. Those guy are microscopic and walk through you clothing. As far as treatment goes, I will put a dab of benadryl gel on the bites daily.
Oh and don't scratch them :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
A friend told me to fill bath tub with salt & water and soak in it. It seemed to work for me last year! He said to make sure you dunked your head, because as a kid he ended up moving all them to his face. I guess they don't like saltwater!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Avoiding them is almost impossible. I have gotten them in high grass, moss, fallen trees, blue berry bushes...Sat on a decaying stump once and got them....If they are around I can seem to find them

·
BAMCIS
270 Posts
Get this stuff called absorbine jr. It's like a mentholated joint rub liquid stuff. Dab it on the itchy bites, and they will stop itching. Works wonders!

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
To repel you can spray down with bug spray especially around your ankles. A rag with a little Kerosene tied around each ankle works great... Had a friend who used some spanish moss for toilet paper once - he said he had red bugs on his hemmeroids and surrounding area for three weeks - actually had to go to the doctor for it - Bad!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
cAMP LEJEUNE IS infamous for chiggers, i have tried EVERYTHING, nailpolish, salt water soaks every kind of reppellent with everything up to 100% Deet.
just one of those things in life, cutting down tall grass and spraying the area will help lesson the amount of chiggers, but nothing i have every heard or seen works to erradicate them or treat their bites.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I spray down with bug spray with high deet concentration and never have a problem with chiggers. If I don't I always get chiggers this time of year. I have tried everything from diesel to ammonia to salt water baths after getting exposed to chiggers and nothing works for me but covering the bites with clear nail polish. I make sure I spray down because getting rid of those things are a pain. Yes chiggers and red bugs are the same thing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try Sawyers, available at BPS and i saw it in walmart. Spray it on your clothes and it lasts through several washings. I've always gotten bit around the ankles so I spray the Sawyers on my pants cuffs and socks, haven't gotten bit since.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I always tuck my pants in my boots then wrap a layer of duck tape then turn the duck tape around and wrap the sticky side facing out 5 or 6 inches high havent got chiggers since.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Chiggers and red bugs are different. Chiggers have like a stinger and inject a poison that decays the skin so they can suck it up like a milkshake. Red bugs get under your skin. Chiggers are more common around here and nail polish don't work on their bits and actually slows the healing process because it needs oxygen. Look it up on google. You can definitely tell the difference and how to treat it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I always tuck my pants in my boots then wrap a layer of duck tape then turn the duck tape around and wrap the sticky side facing out 5 or 6 inches high havent got chiggers since.
This^^^. Tuck in your shirts and pants into tall socks and put duck tape around the top of your socks and around your waist. It works. Bug spray has little effect because you sweat it off in half an hour plus it leaves a huge scent footprint.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts