Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let a hen go broody and sit on 8 eggs. Two hatched this morning. Two more are almost out of their shells right now. And others are starting to crack! Love seeing nature work. I told myself I'd let the hen do all the work and she's doing it so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
We will be moving next month. The wife wants to add ducks, turkeys, guinea fowl, and peacocks. Cant wait to try a duck egg

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
How hard is it to take care of chickens?

Also, I live on the bay with a sandy yard... will that make a difference?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Chickens pretty much take care of themselves. You just have to give them a place to sleep where they want get ate. As far living where it's sandy, as long as you provide them with food they'll be just fine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like Jon might have some up for sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You can have a free rooster if any of these are roosters!

But depending on how many you want and whether you are prepared to take care of them from chicks or not depends on how and where you buy them!!!

Caring for them is as easy as you want to make it. They are yard birds and don't need much at all other than a little shelter and a place to lay eggs to make collecting them easier!

Mine are in a coop and run that's completely enclosed and then let out when I get home from work. They go back in at night and I shut the run door just to keep out the stray critters that like to come out at night!

But don't get on the internet and read about all the fancy things chickens need. It's usually all for the "human" more than the chicken. Some things do make it easier though. My setup is pretty darn simple though.

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet your kids are eggcited.

If the momma hen wouldn't peck her to death, I think my middle one would sleep out there with them! And I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it's pretty cool myself! I love seeing nature do it's thing!

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think I'm going to try to build this one next weekend and surprise my wife before she gets home.

http://www.ladygoats.com/2016/07/building-chicken-house.html?m=1

Anyone know where to buy chickens in the Santa Rosa Beach area?

Build something bigger if you plan to get more than 2-3 chickens! That thing is small looking. Rule of thumb!

Need 5 sq feet of floor space in your coop for every chicken. And you need a minimum of 10 sq feet in the run area per chicken. These are minimums and I'd always go bigger! Because you are going to want more! I promise you that! It's called chicken math!!! Google chicken math and you'll know what I am talking about!

Here's my setup when I first started. My run area is now twice this size since I've added chickens. I started off with 6! I now have 10. And with little new ones, I will have a few more!

And a picture of some of the chickens and the rooster.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
If anybody is looking to buy some let me know. Got some friends that have around 40 or 50 now. They are now getting into breeding certain kind.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If anybody is looking to buy some let me know. Got some friends that have around 40 or 50 now. They are now getting into breeding certain kind.

If you can buy ones that are 6 months to a year old, this is the way to go for your first go at it! Raising from chicks is not hard. Just have to have a separate type of setup for them if you don't already have a broody hen to take care of them like I do/did.

My luck all of these little youngsters will be roosters and end up in the crock pot.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
If you can buy ones that are 6 months to a year old, this is the way to go for your first go at it! Raising from chicks is not hard. Just have to have a separate type of setup for them if you don't already have a broody hen to take care of them like I do/did.

My luck all of these little youngsters will be roosters and end up in the crock pot.
Let me know what you looking for. I know she is breeding silkies and some other kind. Some under a hen others in the incubator

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Build something bigger if you plan to get more than 2-3 chickens! That thing is small looking. Rule of thumb!

Need 5 sq feet of floor space in your coop for every chicken. And you need a minimum of 10 sq feet in the run area per chicken. These are minimums and I'd always go bigger! Because you are going to want more! I promise you that! It's called chicken math!!! Google chicken math and you'll know what I am talking about!

Here's my setup when I first started. My run area is now twice this size since I've added chickens. I started off with 6! I now have 10. And with little new ones, I will have a few more!

And a picture of some of the chickens and the rooster.
I'm only wanting to get two and to be honest, if I can build it where I can only have two, that would be perfect so I gave an excuse to tell the wife we can't have more lol

I'm not sure my neighborhood will take kindly to a full yard of chickens Haha

I'm gone a lot for work for extended periods of time. If there are too many, I think it would become more of a job?

She loves all animals, our dogs go to the vet more than most people's children go to the dr.

I did read where it said 5 to 10 sqft per bird, I'll modify the plans to make it work.

Are they good for the dirt or destroy grass?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts