Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound stupid but I've been trying to think of something to soak up oil on the water, Desperate minds ... desperate measures..

Think of all the chicken feathers from poultry processing plants in the U.S. They float and soak up the oil... they would be easier to skim up than oil alone, The ones that do not get oiled are naturally biodegradeable...

maybe a bad idea but maybe a good one... could it hurt to try?????

What do you guys think??

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The feathers may even havea tendency to clump together, making the cleanup easier yet.

I'm devastated..... just trying tocome upwith something that may help.

·
Registered
838 Posts
YES, someone thinking about solutions. Incidents like this provide oppurtunities for people to think outside the box.

I been thinking about a temporary barrier that is better then floating booms myself. Somthing that can handle waves up to 6 feet or so. My idea is a little too late for this spill though.

Keep thinking about it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. We already know that oil sticks to feathers. Wonder if a feather will still float with oil on it. I'm almost sure it would. Hey...anything to try and help right.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I submitted my idea to BP via the BP website. I got what was I think an automated response.

" Thank you for your reply. Unified command is considering all options for mitigating both the response and cleanup efforts"

Who knows it may help...

I hope so.....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The feather idea could be made viable using processed feathers... They are pretty much a wet nasty mess when removed from the birds. But with some cleaning and drying, maybe the cost be still be affordable.

The sawdust also sounds viable...

But I am not sure why every square foot of them white oil soaker mats wasn't purchased and deployed...

Brent

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Is the oil picked up by the skimmers reclaimed and processed? If so, could be one reason they didn't wanna soak it up with something in the first place. Maybe we could use the feathers along the beach as a lastdefense?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think the biggest problem would be getting enough dried feathers, and I don't know how effective it would be because of a lack of absorbtion (they just get coated, they don't suck it up).

The only thing I've been able to come up with is using barges anchored side ways as a wind breakto try to flatten the surf in certain areas and hope to catch the oil with an absorbent boom on the other side, but I don't think it would work in the gulf. Maybe around the passes and in the bays, but then again it isn't like BP is really listening to anyone. Why in the hell are the still in charge? I thought the coast gaurd took over, but all I can do is get in contact with BP people here locally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts