Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know for sure what chets does do their mullet before frying ,type of cornmeal and etc!! bring on that receipt

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
I really don't think it's much of a secret I have been in the back many times and all they do is sprinkle them with I beleive garlic, salt and meal them. They are skinned and the main thing about Chet's mullet are they are caught dailey and rarely ove two days old that's the secret FRESH mullet.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Best mullet in Pensacola.

1- FRESH fish

2- CORRECT frying temperature

3- FRESH meal

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Corpsman (3/27/2010)
Emerald Ghost (3/27/2010)Best mullet in Pensacola.
1- FRESH fish
3- FRESH meal

+1
What is that temp? I like to fry my fish in peanut oil (When I can afford it) or canola oil as a back up, at 350.

I batter in a 50/50 fine sifted white corn meal and plain flour recipe. I perfer J.T.Pollard's corn meal from Hartford Al, and Martha White flour... Because Lester and Earl said it was the best. I put a little Cayanne pepper in for kick.

I like the garlic salt idea. I don't fry alot of mullet, but order it every chance I get to go to Chet's.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Corpsman (3/27/2010)
Corpsman (3/27/2010)[it.
+1
What is that temp? I like to fry my fish in peanut oil (When I can afford it) or canola oil as a back up, at 350.

I batter in a 50/50 fine sifted white corn meal and plain flour recipe. I perfer J.T.Pollard's corn meal from Hartford Al, and Martha White flour... Because Lester and Earl said it was the best. I put a little Cayanne pepper in for kick.

I like the garlic salt idea. I don't fry alot of mullet, but order it every chance I get to go to Chet's.[/quote]

You got the correct oils you need to kick the temp up 50 (400)degrees and use a pot with a candy thermometer. I have never found any of the store bought fryers worth a crap (my opinion only). I use at least a quart of oil that way it doesn't drop the temp that much when the cold fish are introduced to the oil.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Corpsman (3/27/2010)
Emerald Ghost (3/27/2010)Best mullet in Pensacola.
1- FRESH fish
3- FRESH meal

+1
+2. My mouth waters thinking about their mullet sandwich.

(Close runners up, I think, for mullet are Catfish Hut and Gulf Coast Seafood Deli.)

BTW--I went by Crazy Horse last night (Friday) and my missus ordered the seafood platter. The tilapia on it was delicious--had that fresh fish taste. I'm gonna go back next Friday and order the tilapia fillet. (About 8 bucks).

Joraca

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love the marinated mullet and grouper. The marinade is very easy, and adds a great flavor. Milk, lemon juice, and chopped garlic, then marinated overnight and fried. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I used to work at the old Rusty's Restaurant and we fried our mullet at 350 degrees and used peanut oil always. They breaded with cornmeal and for every 5lbs of cornmeal they used 1 1/2 cups each of seafood seasoning and lemon pepper . I used to always throw in some garlic also.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Rusty's was an interesting place with excellent mullet. I will try this next time I fry. Thanks for posting this Big B.

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
I was once told they soak their Mullet in Buttermilk.

I only use Martha White YELLOW corn meal and have a thermometer for 350 with canola oil , with no seasoning on any salt water fish

·
Registered
126 Posts
chet's

the only mullet I will ever eat is chet's, and it's always killer; Pace or nayy blvd. I've caught em, broke their necks and bleed em in a bucket of salt water and had em frying in 15 minutes and they still tasted fishy. chet's only; jerry's, marina oyster barn,... all fishy. I do remember rusty's being good though. I heard chets soaks their fillets in sweet milk and lemon juice in the frig for 3 days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is only one bad thing at Chet's and that's their hours. They should be open 7 days a week... and for breakfast.. HaHa

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,280 Posts
Sorry for posting on an old thread like this, but I saw Chet's on "Bizzare Foods" I'm bringing a group down there this summer and wanted to do lunch there one day. Is it still open? What does Mullet taste like?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I love the marinated mullet and grouper. The marinade is very easy, and adds a great flavor. Milk, lemon juice, and chopped garlic, then marinated overnight and fried. Can't beat it.
They catered a party I was at about 10yrs ago and this is what they told me that they did to marinate the fish. They know their business :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Sorry for posting on an old thread like this, but I saw Chet's on "Bizzare Foods" I'm bringing a group down there this summer and wanted to do lunch there one day. Is it still open? What does Mullet taste like?
they are open thursday-sat and i think they open at 11 and close at 8pm?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts