Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder. Flares expiration date tend to sneak up on you. Life jackets cannot have rips. Batteries need to be charged fully. Put water in the bilge and verify that it works and does not just sit there and spin. Make sure the self bailers bail and only allow minimal water back in. Also check all hoses that are used as drains. Check for cracks and loose connections.

Please, any other ideas let me know. Above are just a few items.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Check your reservoir on your hydraulic helm steering units BEFORE you turn the wheel the first time. If it is low, add some fluid first, or else you will be priming it for AWHILE!

Check your brake reservoir on your trailer brakes. Suck any water out of it, and replace it with brake fluid.

and remember to grease all your fittings on pivot points. and check your foot oil!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Good reminder, thanks for thinking of others.

·
Premium Member
11,194 Posts
the steering resivoir. is there a special hyd. oil to use or will regular hyd oil work? like the kind you put in a jack.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
well.... I have a Hynautic unit. H60 to be precise.The manual says to use their special fluid, but it also states that you can also use Dextron 2 automatic transmission fluid.

Thats what I put in mine. Works good for me. Other models might need something different.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's not worth the risk or headaches, drop the $17 and buy a quart of sea star steering fluid. It is a lot lighter in color and thinner than automotive type fluids and won't put undue stress on your seals, especially when it is cold.

·
Premium Member
11,194 Posts
1bandit (2/25/2010)It's not worth the risk or headaches, drop the $17 and buy a quart of sea star steering fluid. It is a lot lighter in color and thinner than automotive type fluids and won't put undue stress on your seals, especially when it is cold.
i do believe your right

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts