Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in the tiger point area today working on a landscape and was blocking the mailbox with the truck...So the mailman stopped by and I apologized for being in his way, and I noticed that he wasn't wearing gloves....I asked him why and he said "I guess I should be" as he wiped his nose with his hand and walked up to the house with a special delivery.....WTF....I informed him that everyone else in the mail system that had handled the mail most likely had gloves on....Then I told him he could possibly be infecting EVERYONE on his route,including the elderly that have been vigilant STAYING at HOME.....stupid ass shit is all around us folks....
Then I was in GB proper on the way home when I noticed another carrier driving his truck with no gloves on.....
When you see your carrier wherever you are,check to see if they are being clean or not....It just might save your life....I would have thought that gloves would be MANDATORY in these times.....Don't ASSUME anything from now on...I won't....

UPDATE ...on this situation....I was at the same house a day later..Fedex...no gloves, ups brown truck..no gloves.....
So I hope that they KNOW what they are doing...For ALL of our sakes.....

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The virus can live on the gloves longer than it can on his skin. Now the nose digging thing....ewe.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I once watched a Subway employee empty the garbage with the gloves on then come back to make sandwiches.... I decided to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would think the gloves would protect him but would do nothing for the rest of us.
IMO its a two way street....how many door knobs,gas pumps,who knows what the carrier touched before he started his route....how does that not make sense to you all that don't get the point here..??????????????????????

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
IMO its a two way street....how many door knobs,gas pumps,who knows what the carrier touched before he started his route....how does that not make sense to you all that don't get the point here..??????????????????????
Think about it. The gloves don't keep his fingers from having germs on them. Since each piece of mail could theoretically have germs on its surface, in order for the gloves to help anything, he would have to change them after each time he handled mail. I can guarantee that none of them are doing that. They don't even really protect him, either. If he gets a virus on his gloved hand and then touches his face with said hand, it still passes the germ. Basically he could simply wash his hands before he starts his route. Your gas pump germs are then washed off, and the only question becomes the germs on the mail itself. But wearing gloves all day does nothing.

OR... better yet.... YOU could wash your hands after opening and reading your mail.

Virtually the only thing mail carriers wearing gloves does is make people feel better by lulling them into a false sense of comfort. If you want gloves to help protect from the mail, wear gloves yourself when you open your mail and don't touch anything else till all the envelopes are in the trash.

Don't ASSUME anything from now on...I won't.
This is really what everyone should be doing anyway. Virtually none of the germs you come into contact with every day will infect you if they don't touch a mucosal surface like the eyes, nose, lips, etc. Respiratory viruses don't infect you through the skin. So guard yourself. If you're diligently aware of your hands and surfaces, and stay out of cough/sneeze range of people, you can avoid getting Corona, or any other, virus.

Each person is in the end responsible for his own welfare and well-being. I just assume everyone around me has just finished picking their nose and behave accordingly. I keep my hands in my pockets a lot of the time, and I wash them or use sanitizer after touching surfaces like doorknobs or gas pumps. Or mail. ;) I take extra Vitamin C daily, and I will probably start taking a zinc supplement twice daily based on some reports I have read, I stay aware of my hands and I just go on about my life.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think about it. The gloves don't keep his fingers from having germs on them. Since each piece of mail could theoretically have germs on its surface, in order for the gloves to help anything, he would have to change them after each time he handled mail. I can guarantee that none of them are doing that. They don't even really protect him, either. If he gets a virus on his gloved hand and then touches his face with said hand, it still passes the germ. Basically he could simply wash his hands before he starts his route. Your gas pump germs are then washed off, and the only question becomes the germs on the mail itself. But wearing gloves all day does nothing.

OR... better yet.... YOU could wash your hands after opening and reading your mail.

Virtually the only thing mail carriers wearing gloves does is make people feel better by lulling them into a false sense of comfort. If you want gloves to help protect from the mail, wear gloves yourself when you open your mail and don't touch anything else till all the envelopes are in the trash.

This is really what everyone should be doing anyway. Virtually none of the germs you come into contact with every day will infect you if they don't touch a mucosal surface like the eyes, nose, lips, etc. Respiratory viruses don't infect you through the skin. So guard yourself. If you're diligently aware of your hands and surfaces, and stay out of cough/sneeze range of people, you can avoid getting Corona, or any other, virus.

Each person is in the end responsible for his own welfare and well-being. I just assume everyone around me has just finished picking their nose and behave accordingly. I keep my hands in my pockets a lot of the time, and I wash them or use sanitizer after touching surfaces like doorknobs or gas pumps. Or mail. ;) I take extra Vitamin C daily, and I will probably start taking a zinc supplement twice daily based on some reports I have read, I stay aware of my hands and I just go on about my life.

Point taken....I just see evryone that deals with the public wearing gloves ,mail in general has the possibility of have the virus on it....I really think we are on a downward spiral because of how many ways we can get the virus....It clings to clothes,doorknobs,etc.....whose to say the packages that are sent to a store to be stocked are not infected....It just sucks and I was just informing members to be aware of the mail and what it might be carrying when it comes to your property......

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
.It just sucks and I was just informing members to be aware of the mail and what it might be carrying when it comes to your property......
That is a valid point. If everyone were vigilant, thoughtful, and tried to 1) guard themselves and their loved ones as best they can, and 2) exercised caution and thoughtfulness to not being a vector for spread, this thing could be over quickly. Unfortunately, not enough people think that way so you get the actions that get taken like closing our natural resources (our beaches among other things) off to us because some idiots can't see past their noses to not pack themselves onto beaches by the hundreds just to act like morons.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,137 Posts
It's tough. Anybody like a mail carrier should put on new gloves every house almost.

When I was in the hospital for 9 days the nurses and doctors used a hand sanitizer as they entered, put on gloves and a face mask, then removed their gloves and used a hand sanitizer as they left.

That was for MY benefit, since Cancer is not contagious, but it makes your immune system for crap.

I spent 4 days in the hospital with a temperature of 100.4. Again because I had an infection and was going through Chemotherapy. The chemo kills your immune system.

I spent 4 days in the hospital when an implanted chest port got infected (it 's a small implanted box(under your skin) with a tube that goes up to your neck vein then down into your heart they can use instead of searching for a vein every week. They put a small needle into the box and tape it down for a few hours while you get chemo or other treatments).

I felt fine, but I was infected with a bacteria they could not isolate. I was getting different antibiotics till they found one that worked...

They wore gloves and masks every time. They were discarded every time.

And that was for MY health.

Now they use gloves and masks for their OWN health as well.

The problem with Covid-19. If too many people get infected, a LOT of people will wind up in the hospital. Too many to treat with masks and gloves and respirators.

Then the Nurses and Doctors get sick at the same time.

It CAN overwhelm the system. THAT is the problem.

Yes it will end, but if we self isolate, we can avoid overwhelming the system.

Jim

I still have the chest port by the way... well a replacement. It looks weird up on my right chest, a big square bulge under my skin. They leave it in "just in case", for a year or so after surgery. They still use it for blood tests and CT scan every three month. I get it "irrigated" every 6 weeks just so it doesn't clog. Simple pinch as they put a very small needle in, then use water and blood thinner to clear the tube.

I LOVE science and now Medicine.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gloves protect the person wearing them. Where's your gloves?
Then why do restaurant food prep/cooks wear gloves....it isn't because the food might infect them with bacteria...it is assurance that the food is handled as safe as possible....Jim T explained it well and I thank him.....

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,996 Posts
Youz guyz are assuming that all the mail is sterile and the mail man has kooties and is putting kooties on super clean mail. NOPE it's like saying money and coins are clean, NOPE!

It's tough. Anybody like a mail carrier should put on new gloves every house almost.

Yeah and stamps would cost 5 bucks a piece and the mail men would have bloody hands at the end of the day from taking 8000000 gloves off and on.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,137 Posts
Even though we are self- isolating we still need to go to the store, etc. Yes, there are 30 people working in that Publix. Another 100 walking around.

YES, there is risk there. I see employees in my Publix in Key Largo wearing gloves to wipe down carts as they are delivered back into the store. They are using gloves to stock. Not so much at the checkout counter.

That's what using hand sanitizer and washing your hands is all about.

I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in my truck (I'm still kinda high risk) and I really try to wash my hands all the time. (Don't forget your thumbs).

Jim

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
jim t.....and where will all these gloves for each mailman, changing gloves for each house...come from?

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,137 Posts
jim t.....and where will all these gloves for each mailman, changing gloves for each house...come from?

Maybe I was misleading.

NOTHING is perfectly safe. But self isolation works.

Wash your hands after opening the mail. That works, not 100% of the time, but certainly worth the risk.

Same with going to the grocery. They are TRYING to make it safer. You can make it better by unloading your groceries, then washing your hands.

This is a lot bigger than we can think. Sure New York is the center now, for us.

I think we should stop all flying, and I were an airline pilot, for at least a couple weeks.

This is about people who cannot afford, financially or by risk, getting this disease. Then it overwhelms our medical system.

It WILL end, we can reduce the risk, even while acknowledging it still happens anyway.

I'm good with helping people in the meantime... People, then their employers.

Jim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts