Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agood friend of mine and my ex wife (yeah, I know) caught this thing in shalimar on sunday. Has a body like a redfish with the color and spots and all, but check out the face and mouth! Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics. Fish was over 36" so it was released as a redfish. They also sent pics to the MFC, and the FWC. I dont think he was glowing. He had 2 other hooks and leaders in his mouth too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Judging by the way they said it pulled...like a freight train...I would go with a jacked up red too! Question is now, could they have kept it. I don't know of any regulations on jack/red hybrids,or ifLEO could even correctly ID it as an illegal red. Hmmmmm...things to ponder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That must be a deformed redfish. A jack and redfish would not be able to breed as they are far different species. Only a few different species can produce offspring if they mate and they must be close (such as same genus). A jack and redfish are not in the same family. Hopefully the biological post did not bore yall.

Pretty cool catch though, can't say many people have ever caught a redfish that looked like that!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Back in the day, when we fished N. GA, we would catch some deformed hatchery trout. Some of them would be pretty messed up looking. We always referred to them as Chernobyl Trout. Looks like you caught a Chernobyl Redfish.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I wonder if the other redfish made fun of him or was never able to spawn due to no female redfish not having anything to do with him. :angel

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I saw a redfish just like that in sportfishing magazine a couple years ago. Someone had sent in the pic asking pretty much the same pictures and it was determined to just be a defect but otherwisehealthy red.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i bet it fought like a real champ!!! holy cow, never seen anything like that in my life... talk about blowing the proverbial load in the wrong place... those jacks must have felt very disrespected by that redfish, or vice-versa... bwahhahha!!!!!!!! awesome pictures

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it had the body of a red, it is probably a deformed redfish. The genetics on a cross make thatsuper unlikely,as they are from completely different families (Carangidae and a Sciaenidae). Liquid Fun is correct.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts