Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take the fam somewhere tropical for New Years on the cheap. Wife will be graduating from school and deserves it but our budget is slim. 2-3 days max would like to fly there. We have a 4 year old daughter. Any recommendations??

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Costa Rica is really cheap and awesome. Super cheap flights if you are willing to fly out of Orlando. Rent a car yourself ahead of time, and drive everywhere. It’s safe. I’ve been several times to surf and fish and can give you lots of tips if y’all decide to go.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Costa Rica is really cheap and awesome. Super cheap flights if you are willing to fly out of Orlando. Rent a car yourself ahead of time, and drive everywhere. It’s safe. I’ve been several times to surf and fish and can give you lots of tips if y’all decide to go.
Thanks!! I’ll look into it. May PM you. Any specific areas?

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Thanks!! I’ll look into it. May PM you. Any specific areas?

Feel free to PM. What’s your wife into? Does she like a more touristy/resort type experience, like America, or does she mind roughing it a bit more and experiencing more of the local culture and seeing more off the beaten path places?

Either way, you will see monkeys, huge macaws, toucans, etc all over the place. Plus beautiful beaches, mountains and volcanoes. You can whale watch, you name it. Excellent food and coffee as well.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Staniel Cay Yacht Club. Affordable based on what you get. No TV or internet, but a nice little cozy cottage with a deck on the hillside over the water. Get the all inclusive package and it includes 3 meals per day, non alcoholic drinks, a 17 foot Boston whaler loaded with fuel every day for your personal use, kayaks and paddle boards, snorkeling gear, the works! Your only worry is figuring out which island you want to explore that day. Swimming pigs, lizard island, thunderball grotto for snorkeling where the James bond movie was filmed, swim with nurse sharks, see the island and house where Carlos Lehder had his cocaine empire (if you have seen the movie Blow it will be familiar). Excellent bone fishing and best wahoo fishing in the world if you wanted to go one day. The locals on the island are awesome too! So friendly and laid back and everyone meets at the yacht club bar at the end of the day to drink and socialize.

Me and the wife went for our honeymoon 5 years ago and fell in live with the place...its a beautiful, small, "real bahamas" island and we plan to go back every 5 years. You will want to stay forever, definitely more than 2 or 3 nights. I would go for 5 at least and best time of year is October-February as theres hardly any other tourists around the islands besides staniel cay guests.

The only problem is that others have discovered this gem of a place also and it stays booked year round. You typically have to book about a year in advance to get a cottage.

https://www.stanielcay.com/

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
St. Croix
It's a U.S. territory, no passport needed. It's the poor man's Virgin Island. Not sure what airfare is these days.

I was going to suggest St John, I’ve never been to St Croix though was going to suggest it also. Virgin air flies out of Panama City pretty cheap to Charlotte amillee on st Thomas and a 5$ boat ride can be had to St. John they also fly into St Croix. We paid 200/ night for a two bed with a kitchen free alcohol and breakfast provided a couple years ago, last I looked it was the same price in Cruz bay. Everything is within walking distance. We hit the grocery and cooked dinner ourselves overlooking the whole island and watched the sunset a couple days to save money. Once we figured out how to use the taxis we saved a ton of money. The locals were absolutely fantastic on St John... not so much on St Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
What did your trip run you at staniel cay?
For 2 people, including airfare through Watermakers (highly recommend their company for flight, small private plane, easy boarding and customs and flies you straight to staniel cay), extra expenses on alcohol, appetizers, fishing, etc., and 7 nights you can go for about $5k...and that's spending a lot...maybe $4k if you don't drink or go on a fishing trip. Book during the off season for the lower rates and less crowds. You will love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts