Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, most people agree that HPS is the way to go for gigging, but if your boat is too small or you don't have money for a generator like me, these might help. I haven't fully tested them yet because I'm workin on the boat. But it shines bright from the dock. I am about to order 4 more and mount them on a piece of aluminum channel to float in front of the boat. Anyway, they are 12v, 10w, 900 Lumen LED lights, for 12 bucks on ebay! In the picture, I just have it hooked up to a little 9v battery in my house, but it is a lot brighter on the 12v, and supposedly submersible; though i havent tested that yet. This is fully open to criticism, but it's a cheap, efficient, and lightweight option for recreational gigging. I'm not the one selling these, just thought I would throw it out there.. Here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270992200411?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And here's a couple pictures. I'll post more when i get in the water next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have built a pile of wading lights using these lights and have been using them above and below the water all summer long. They are plenty bright using just one for wading. I have not had one problem. I use a small 12v 9ah battery and power one all night long. They will do what you are wanting on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Before you buy more of those take a look at these.
I purchased one of these water proof, 27 watt, LED, lights to build a wading light. It's 2150 lumens and costs $39 with free shipping. It's built out of a heavy duty cast aluminum frame and a sealed glass lens.

I haven't built the pole yet but this sucker is bright as hell and throws a wide flood beam. You can see the size of it in my hand in the last pic. It's about 50 - 60 feet to the fence.

http://customfitzled.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2556254

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I purchased one of these water proof, 27 watt, LED, lights to build a wading light. It's 2150 lumens and costs $39 with free shipping. It's built out of a heavy duty cast aluminum frame and a sealed glass lens.

I haven't built the pole yet but this sucker is bright as hell and throws a wide flood beam. You can see the size of it in my hand in the last pic. It's about 50 - 60 feet to the fence.

Is that thing submersible? Says they are waterproof, but that doesn't mean they are submersible. I might have to get a couple of those for my camper and 4-wheeler.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes. IP67

Here's a pic of it submerged in my kitchen sink.
The battery it's hooked up to is about dead so it's not nearly as bright as it was outside hooked up to the car battery.

·
Super Moderator
28,611 Posts

Those look awesome and they have even stronger 1's on their web site....I have been looking fer something fer my sled so I may be rigging up something now!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought 4 of the lights on the origional post and am in the process of making pvc frames to mount in the flush-mount rod holders on my kayak. No mods to the Kayak itself. I am hopeful that it will work well.

Greg

·
Registered
172 Posts

I am running 6 of those on my setup now and I love them. Not only can I use the rig for flounder gigging, I can run the rivers at night and see from bank to bank when jugging for catfish. Gonna use them when I'm hunting in the delta as well, should be able to get to the hunting grounds a lot faster. Be careful if you are planning to use that rig underwater. I would still seal it up some more and the hardware does rust. I bought some plasti-coat (spray plastic covering) and sprayed my entire mount & lighting hardware. I can run 6 of them all night on one battery.

Customfitz is dependable but you can find the lights cheaper if you look online. Here is a good place to start.

http://www.dhgate.com/6pcs-4-quot-i...e-led/p-ff80808135c891770135d218ed0373ab.html

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
On the 27 watt lights, on their website, all of their photos of this light are above the water. I saw your photo of it submerged in your kitchen sink, but I wonder if these lights will remain waterproof if submerged for wading purposes when the light is under water for a few hours.

For me, the jury is still out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I do appreciate the info, can't buy any at the moment but will have a set before end of month. This is awesome info, the LED's are finally coming down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question concerning your light

Just purchased this light and I don't see any sort of seal/gasket around the lens. Does your light have one? Not sure if mine is watertight or not just trying to verify before I submerge it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
On mine you can unscrew the front lens and there is a plastic seal. I put the rig in the water to try it out. Water was too murky to see anything, but no leakage into the lens housing. (these are the 900 lumin lights mentioned on the origional post). I was down at the bay last night with my cast net and the water was a lot clearer than last week. Hope to get a chance to go floundering this weekend and I will try to take some pics.

Greg

·
Registered
478 Posts
One more thought. The rear of my lights are sealed from the water because they are protected by the pvc frame. I don't know how water tight the rear seal of the light is but it should be OK based on the info on by the seller.

Greg

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am using a different light all together. Mine are like the 900 lumine lights from e-bay mentioned in the origional post. I have not seen the ones you are talking about. Sorry.

Greg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts