Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I have never owned a Cast Iron item in my life. But you sure got me wanting one now. I guess I will start with a frying pan first. What would you recommend, something new or something old?
Definitely older Wagner, Griswold, Lodge, BSR. Depending on what you’re wanting to spend. I can get you just about anything you want. Shoot me a text and I’ll get you taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Have a few before and after pics I’ll post in the next few days. Here some pieces already done.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
I "think" it's just a matter of "tradition" and "provenance"... "This skillet was used 100 years ago..."

A new Lodge skillet is just as good as one that was built 100 years ago, but it doesn't have the history of someone cooking on it for 100 years.

I have a number 8 skillet my then 85 year old Mom gave me some 20 years ago. I use it all the time. I treasure it, but it probably doesn't cook any better than a new cast iron skillet. Or any other pan.

I also collect some old first edition books. Most aren't worth more than $50. But knowing a few generations of people might have read it in their hands is pretty cool to me.

It kinda makes no sense, but it does to me.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
What’s the difference between the older Lodge and newer?

That cast process has essentially been the same for hundreds of years. Newer Lodge is very good stuff and still Made in America. It tends to have a lot rougher finish compared to the older stuff. Your higher end companies that charge $150-300 for a skillet seems to be more inline with the 100 year old Griswolds, Wagers and Lodges. Smooth cooking service and better fit and finish. And like Jim said there is a lot of history with them that makes it cool as well. My oldest is dated back to the 1800s.

Biggest thing with cast iron is seasoning it properly, learning how to actually cook on it (low temps and preheat) and maintenance. Cast iron is a poor conductor for heat but holds heat very well, preheat your skillet for 5-10 min and use low to medium heat. The temp is where most people mess up and why they get food stuck to their skillets.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,828 Posts
Love cast iron! Never will have to replace it, wife is a huge fan of it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dang, that looks awesome. I wish I could use one but I have a glass cooktop stove. I saw a Rosie the Riveter pan on the Lodge site that was cool too.

·
Super Moderator
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Only about a week out now if anyone else needs anything cleaned up and seasoned.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts