Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to chicken bone beach yesterday to try for some pomps to no avail. However, there were quite a few nice size bait schools getting blasted from above and below. So, this morning my dad and I launched the yaks to go investigate. Normally I don't carry an anchor inshore, due to it getting in the way, but being on open water I brought it with me for safety reasons. We'll I slid the yak into the surf and waited the last set of ankle biters to roll by. When the last wave passed I slid out and hopped on. Unknowingly my anchor wrapped around something and fell off, leaving only a few feet of slack. So, as I paddled out my boat turned sideways and was caught by the next wave and tipped over. I was lucky that I was in only a foot and 1/2 of water and was even more lucky that no one was on the beach to see lamest reason ever to have your kayak flipped. After gathering up my gear and successfully making it out, I was off to chase birds. Giant ladyfish, bluefish, and little tuny were everywhere, slamming bait almost nonstop. Casting pomp jigs into the frenzies resulted in immediate hookups. It was a blast floating directly through the schools being surround by birds and having hundreds of the three types of fish running below you and demolishing bait. The little baitfish would try to hide under my yak, which lead to 100s of ladyfish running straight into the bottom of my boat. After the chaos subsided a little I started trolling a pomp jig. I managed 6 nice size little tuny from 7-10lbs on the Boga on my 12lb outfit, which was a blast. The bigger ones took me for a few fairly rapid sleigh rides and donuts. After a while the dolphins moved in and the bite slowed, so we headed in for some Peg Leg's. Man, what a great day at the beach. I'm sure they will still be there tomorrow if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like a great day. I have had my yak hit a couple of time and it made me a little uneasy. It was dark and I had lots of bait juice dipping through the scupper holes. Now I use a plastic pan to hold the bait. Wish I was out there with ya.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nice report! Makes me want to get out there tonite instead of waiting until first light in the morning!:clap

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Great report PBTH... ummm... and :takephoto ??? Would have been great pics... seeing all the baitfish. We're all just jealous we weren't there with ya!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts