Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my brother and I have been planning a trip for a month or so now. We are going to pull my camper down to Davis Bayou Campground, in Ocean Springs and stay there for a week or so. We will be taking my 20' Center Console out to the Chandeleur Islander. It is a jack up oil rig turned into a hotel. We have two nights booked there. Then upon returning to the campground we plan to fish Mississippi sound and the barrier islands. Heck if the weather cooperates we may even make a day trip back out to the Chandeleurs. I am going to be taking some flounder gigging gear as well. I've seen all the posts of the Mississippi guys killing the flounder over there and we may as well give it a try. Steve and I go on a lot of adventures together. We have bird hunted West Texas for many years and ventured as far north as Montana chasing upland birds.
Looking forward to fishing with him and a great trip to these islands. I have never been there. Just hoping for good weather, and a good bite.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Well my brother and I have been planning a trip for a month or so now. We are going to pull my camper down to Davis Bayou Campground, in Ocean Springs and stay there for a week or so. We will be taking my 20' Center Console out to the Chandeleur Islander. It is a jack up oil rig turned into a hotel. We have two nights booked there. Then upon returning to the campground we plan to fish Mississippi sound and the barrier islands. Heck if the weather cooperates we may even make a day trip back out to the Chandeleurs. I am going to be taking some flounder gigging gear as well. I've seen all the posts of the Mississippi guys killing the flounder over there and we may as well give it a try. Steve and I go on a lot of adventures together. We have bird hunted West Texas for many years and ventured as far north as Montana chasing upland birds.
Looking forward to fishing with him and a great trip to these islands. I have never been there. Just hoping for good weather, and a good bite.
Sounds like a great time! Good luck!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck! Report back on how you handle the fuel situation to and from the rig. I have seen many ways to finagle it.
No problem in my boat. 75 gallons of fuel. 150 Suzuki. Cruise at 28 mph and 4000 rpm. Will get close to 3 mpg. It’s only 35 miles from Ocean Springs. We should have ample fuel.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's a very cool spot and you'll have a fun trip. I did the float plane excursions several times with the late, great Capt. Theophile Bourgeois. Tons of big reds, trout, jacks and flounder in the fall. Best bet is anchor your boat and wade. Bottom is relatively benign, but wading boots or hi-top tennis shoes with socks will be more comfortable. Top-water plugs like Spooks or Skitter Walks, DOA shrimp, bucktail jigs and jerk baits in natural patterns will be all you need. Take some spare loaded spools. There are some great restaurants/watering holes in downtown Ocean Springs.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a very cool spot and you'll have a fun trip. I did the float plane excursions several times with the late, great Capt. Theophile Bourgeois. Tons of big reds, trout, jacks and flounder in the fall. Best bet is anchor your boat and wade. Bottom is relatively benign, but wading boots or hi-top tennis shoes with socks will be more comfortable. Top-water plugs like Spooks or Skitter Walks, DOA shrimp, bucktail jigs and jerk baits in natural patterns will be all you need. Take some spare loaded spools. There are some great restaurants/watering holes in downtown Ocean Springs.
My wife and I frequent Ocean Springs. We go to Davis Bayou Campground at least twice a year. I’m taking at least six rod and reels and I’m sure Steve will have just as many. We have more artificial baits than we can use. Thanks for the pointers though, I’ll take all I can get. Would really like to catch a couple of flounder for the table. We will release all the trout we catch. Maybe keep a couple of slot Redfish. We plan to drift and fish and when we find fish, anchor and wade. Both of us have wading booties. Shouldn’t need waders in late October?. Water temp.should be bearable way out there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds like you're set. Yes, water temps should be comfortable. I waded in early March one trip and it was invigorating but tolerable.

If you have a PowerPole and good anchor, you will be fine to deploy both to keep the boat floating off the islands. Otherwise, a second small anchor off the stern will do the trick. A drift sock/sea anchor is always handy to slow the boat while you're drifting, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We are heading out next week, weather permitting and spending the weekend. Usually anchor at redfish point and pull a bay boat or two behind the sportsfisherman to fish from. Looking forward to your report and associated pictures.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Those gold sprite spoons, 1/4 oz, have been our best baits at Chandaleur.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you do get a chance to run your boat to and from. The channel markers for Gulfport (between cat and ship islands) have been known to hold some nice tripletail. May be a tad late in year though.

Triple tail are still holding on the buoys over here. We’ve got a pretty good Cobia population that hangs out on these buoys too. Usually fires up for them in early October but there’s a few there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts