Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 days of Oystering and fishing (inshore). No shortage of folks walking, boating, fishing, and visiting.
Shipoke

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
How was the Oystering and fishing? My kids love it down there. Probably because they can put the rods n tackle on the golfcart amd just go, lol. But i am curious bout the oustering? Just anyone can rake em up?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shipoke

Yes, rake them up. Must measure 3", 5 gallon bucket per person per day. Water muddy and high from the Suwannee, which made for tough raking. 4 of us with 2 canoes, and launched at Shell mound ramp. Massive Noseeums. I fished, while the other 3 Oystered. Small specks and reds and Mullett jumping in the boats. If you dont know your way around, leave boat at home and bring Aluminum canoe. Water is shallow with oyster bars everywhere. High top wading shoes or you wont take a step.
Shipoke

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have a house rented for a week starting on July 21,,,,hope this virus problem doesn’t change my plans....We have been before and love the place..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, rake them up. Must measure 3", 5 gallon bucket per person per day. Water muddy and high from the Suwannee, which made for tough raking. 4 of us with 2 canoes, and launched at Shell mound ramp. Massive Noseeums. I fished, while the other 3 Oystered. Small specks and reds and Mullett jumping in the boats. If you dont know your way around, leave boat at home and bring Aluminum canoe. Water is shallow with oyster bars everywhere. High top wading shoes or you wont take a step.
Shipoke
I've only been to Shellmound once but I concur with everything you said. I hate the Noseeums! I'd also only hit it close to the bottom side of the tide. Makes it better to return to the launch that way. My bud and I were in yaks, saw some locals in power boats but figured since they live there they knew how to thread the needle.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Shell Mound is dangerous in July.

One of my friends had 2 large Bull Sharks attack his yak several years ago. One tore up his paddle. I'll try to find his tale and post it here. He fished out of Shell Mound many times as I recall. Far easier for me to fish out of Yankeetown but it is a long paddle (20+ miles) to Shell Mound.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I’ve always wanted to take my small Boston Whaler down there but the shallow water and oyster bars everywhere kinda scare me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep in mind that my report was BACKWATER, around Shell mound launch. Most of the boats i saw were Mud motor boats, Air boats and small Carolina skiffs, with Crab traps indicating where there "might" be a channel. There were lots of regular boats headed for the islands in the gulf with well marked channels.
Shipoke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts