Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:line id=_x0000_s1026 style="Z-INDEX: 1; LEFT: 0px; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: left" strokeweight="1.5pt" to="378pt,54pt" from="2.25pt,54pt"></v:line><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; Z-INDEX: -1; LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 90pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 93pt; TEXT-ALIGN: left" type="#_x0000_t75" wrapcoords="-180 0 -180 21426 21600 21426 21600 0 -180 0"><v:imagedata src="blank%20small"></v:imagedata><?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><w:wrap type="tight"></w:wrap></v:shape><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 48pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'">News Release<o:p></o:p>[/B]<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'; LETTER-SPACING: 2pt">Coastal Conservation Association<o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'"> 6919 Portwest, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Suite</st1:Street> 100</st1:address>, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Houston</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">TX</st1:State> <st1:postalCode w:st="on">77024</st1:postalCode></st1:place> <o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'">Email: [email protected] Website: www.joincca.org<o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'">FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 21, 2009<SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1"> <SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 2"> CONTACT: Ted Venker, 1-800-201-FISH<o:p></o:p><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0in; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none">
<U>Federal managers shut down another Gulf fishery <o:p></o:p></U><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0in; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><U>Decision on Gulf amberjack shows federal management on brink of breakdown<o:p></o:p></U>[/I]<P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><o:p><U></U></o:p>[/I]<P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><U><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">CORPUS CHRISTI[/I]</st1:City><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">, <st1:State w:st="on">TX</st1:State>[/I]</st1:place><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> [/I]<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">- The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) continued its bizarre history of biased management regarding Gulf amberjack when it announced this week that the recreational season for the popular offshore species will close on October 24 due to the recreational sector overfishing its quota. This announcement comes barely two years after the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Gulf</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mexico Fishery Management Council</st1:placeName></st1:place> arbitrarily shifted a significant portion of recreational allocation to the commercial sector</U><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in">?There is no way to defend what the Council has done with the management of amberjack. It borders on outright disregard for the recreational sector,? said Chester Brewer, chairman of the Coastal Conservation Associations National Government Relations Committee. ?Combined with what is happening with Gulf red snapper and the commercial catch share plan for Gulf grouper, this latest announcement gives recreational anglers no reason to have any faith in the federal management of recreational fisheries.? <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in">In 2007, <SPAN style="COLOR: black">the Council declared that Gulf greater amberjack were overfished, yet increased the commercial share of the fishery while reducing the recreational bag limit to one and increasing the size limit to 30 inches. The recreational restrictions were implemented despite the fact that unchecked commercial overfishing since 1990 was the primary cause of problems in the fishery - see <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Recreational Fishery Hijacked[/B], CCA Press Release, September 10, 2007. <o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in">?The reduction in amberjack recreational allocation in 2007 from 84 percent to 71 percent has to be the most egregious allocation shift ever enacted by the Gulf Council,? said Ted Forsgren, executive director of CCA Florida. ?Anglers were punished for supporting conservation measures and the commercial industry was rewarded for fishing over its quota. The change in catch level was a direct result of NMFS? failure to enact adequate measures to control commercial take and failure to ever enforce the adopted allocation. We are feeling the full effects of those failures today with a closed recreational season.?<SPAN style="COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">?If the Council had left the allocation where it was in 2007, and where it rightfully should have been, recreational anglers would not have been over their quota as of the end of August, and likely would not have gone over even by year?s end,? said Dr. Russell Nelson, CCA Gulf Fisheries consultant. ?This is a case where an unwarranted allocation shift from recreational to commercial two years ago is shutting down our season, even though we are not the root cause of the problem.?<o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">Adding to the frustration of anglers is the fact that last year?s recreational harvest was under the quota, but that underage is not being taken into account this year. Under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, catch overages and underages from previous years may be calculated in the following year?s harvest limits, but doing so is not mandatory. In the case of Gulf red snapper, however, two years of recreational overages will result in a dramatically shortened season in 2010.<o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">?The one-sidedness of federal fisheries management is at a level that makes it almost impossible to believe recreational interests will ever be considered in any meaningful way,? said Brewer. ?No fishery has ever been overfished by recreational angling alone, and any number of economic studies indicates that the recreational sector is by far the most valuable part of our marine fisheries. And yet, fishery after fishery is closing down for anglers while the Councils bend over backwards to keep the longlines and nets in the water. In the eyes of many recreational anglers, the federal management system is on the edge of a total breakdown.?<o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="mso-font-kerning: 14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">###<o:p></o:p>

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
I do certainly believe they are creating something they can not monitor or police with the resources they have.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not only did CCA not sue over the Snapper Regulations, they actually supported it! Don't get your hopes up for this organization to rescue the recreational fisherman.

·
Registered
318 Posts
THis may sound dumb, but has the FWC followed suit. Isn't there still a federal and a sate regulation? I know the Jacks are bigger off shore, but there is a bunch of places within the 9 Mile line to get em?

Confused and angry,

CHris

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you plan on taking an AJ during the closure, you might as well put 3 or 4 AJ's per person in the box, hell put some red snapper in there and 7 or 8 gag groupers. This is getting ridiculous:banghead. I'm thinking prop foulers and butyric acid is thebest way to keep the feds and FWC from stoppingyou in the pass. :shedevilWhen we can't fish legally, we need to have an all out assault on the commercial fishing fleet by cutting longlines, taking bouys, prop foulers and butyric acid on their deck. The bad thing is, that I have been involved in fishing politics and attended NFMS and FWC meetings and have seen these moves coming for acouple years, and I'm frustrated that we as recreational fishers cannot come together as a group to take on the special intrest and fight for our rights.:hoppingmad:hoppingmad:hoppingmad

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
chasintales (10/21/2009)THis may sound dumb, but has the FWC followed suit. Isn't there still a federal and a sate regulation? I know the Jacks are bigger off shore, but there is a bunch of places within the 9 Mile line to get em?

Confused and angry,

CHris
Here is the news clip on the FWC website:

<SPAN style="COLOR: black">Sport fishing for greater amberjack set to close in Gulf federal waters<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: auto 0in" class=body><SPAN style="COLOR: black">October 20, 2009
Contact: Lee Schlesinger, 850-487-0554 <o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: auto 0in" class=body><SPAN style="COLOR: black">The recreational harvest and possession of greater amberjack in or from federal waters in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Gulf of Mexico</st1:place> will be prohibited from Oct. 24 through Dec. 31. Federal waters extend beyond nine nautical miles from shore in the Gulf off <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State>. The National Marine Fisheries Service announced this closure because an established annual recreational harvest quota for greater amberjack in the Gulf has been met. <o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: auto 0in" class=body><SPAN style="COLOR: black">In addition, a person aboard a vessel for which a federal charter vessel/head boat permit for Gulf reef fish has been issued must also abide by this closure provision in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> state waters. This action is required by regulations implemented under the Fishery Management Plan for Reef Fish Resources of the <st1:place w:st="on">Gulf of Mexico</st1:place>. <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">However, all other recreational anglers may still harvest 1 greater amberjack of at least 30 inches fork length daily per person in Gulf state waters off Florida (within nine nautical miles from shore) under Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission rules.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Gone Fishin' Too (10/21/2009)When we can't fish legally, we need to have an all out assault on the commercial fishing fleet by cutting longlines, taking bouys, prop foulers and butyric acid on their deck.
Commercial fisheman are notthe recreational fisherman's enemy.Commercial fisherman haven't done anything that our governement didn't approve them to do.

Mark W

·
Registered
456 Posts
You need to look at it from both sides of the road. If you are a commercial fisherman and the government places limitations on how many commercial fisherman there can be then you will have them raising hell about how the government is denying them their right to free enterprise. Also they would complain about how terrible the economy is and that they cannot provide for their families. With the decrease of commercial fisherman you would see a major affect on the price of fish at the fish markets. Then you would have every person who does not fish raising hell about the price of the fish and in turn they cannot afford to buy the fish anymore, because of the economy, so the fish market ends up closing down and now you have to add some more individuals to the long list of individuals on unemployment. Sounds like a dictatorship at work doesn't. But if it ends up going the other direction, as it is currently, then those of us who partake in the activity of recreational fishing get screwed.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
This is an example of Excellent cooperation between our Natural Resource enforcement agencies. Since we can't fish.... we'll all hunt deer!!!

Reduce those numbers to a decent level then we'll get to fish again.

Or not... I dunno ... could be a plot.

·
Banned
1,645 Posts
markw4321 (10/21/2009)
Gone Fishin' Too (10/21/2009)When we can't fish legally, we need to have an all out assault on the commercial fishing fleet by cutting longlines, taking bouys, prop foulers and butyric acid on their deck.

Commercial fisheman are notthe recreational fisherman's enemy.Commercial fisherman haven't done anything that our governement didn't approve them to do.

Mark W

this has GOT to be a targeted LOBBYING effort paid for by guess who?

certainly not anyone behind Rec fishermen

I believe this bulsshit will cripple Florida nad other states tourism

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Gone Fishin' Too (10/21/2009)If you plan on taking an AJ during the closure, you might as well put 3 or 4 AJ's per person in the box, hell put some red snapper in there and 7 or 8 gag groupers. This is getting ridiculous:banghead. I'm thinking prop foulers and butyric acid is thebest way to keep the feds and FWC from stoppingyou in the pass. :shedevilWhen we can't fish legally, we need to have an all out assault on the commercial fishing fleet by cutting longlines, taking bouys, prop foulers and butyric acid on their deck. The bad thing is, that I have been involved in fishing politics and attended NFMS and FWC meetings and have seen these moves coming for acouple years, and I'm frustrated that we as recreational fishers cannot come together as a group to take on the special intrest and fight for our rights.:hoppingmad:hoppingmad:hoppingmad
Next time, think first. Then type.:boo

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am mainly just venting!!!, I understand that the commercial sector is doing what the government allows them to do. The government is just this big cloud of bureaucratic bull smack that seems to be invincible to any kind of common sense and there is no one person of accountability to vent directly to that would make a difference.The commercial sector is a visible targetfor meto explain why there isa depleation of the fish resources.If you watched theTV series "Swords on the Line", you willsee whereI am coming from. If there really is a risk ofoverfishing, thenall fish in this category needsto be protected by a"game fish" status and excluded from commercial harvest.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Gone Fishin' Too (10/21/2009) If there really is a risk ofoverfishing, thenall fish in this category needsto be protected by a"game fish" status and excluded from commercial harvest.
this would be my input. but the answer is, they are not in danger and that somene is profiting from the situation!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts