Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I launched the boat at Juannas here in Navarre and headed towards Bob Sikes yesterday, I notice a huge bait school on the top of the water and see BIG fish tearing them up, I mean just raising hell !!!!!! So I drop my trolling motor and ease my way to them and start throwing a Gotcha lure into the school and BAM !!!! FISH ON, I just knew it was a big red, HUGE speck or other good eating fish that would be on the grill that night, but as I get it to the boat I see it is just a massive sail cat. I have never seen cats hitting bait on the top of the water, is this normal ????? Rest of the day was just more cats and one good size blue fish for a fun fight.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I've caught regular Catfish on shrimp and a popping cork off my docks in the late afternoon. I too was thinking I had a Redfish or Trout but ended up with damn Catfish :doh

·
Banned
35 Posts
I caught two regular catfish slow trolling with my 2.5hp yamaha -on pinfish.

When using a circle hook they're not as irritating .

Never heard of catfish hitting topwaters -didn't know bull sharks were in Illinois either though !

·
Registered
76 Posts
was out with the wife 2 sundays ago around big sabine and ran into the same thing had 1 hit my topdog and one hit a mirrodine. thought it was odd to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Something you guys need to remember is this: everything in saltwater is 10 times more aggressive than just about anything freshwater. Everything in the ocean has teeth, so if you were a fish without, you would be pretty aggressive also! Sail cats are a schooling fish, and if you every caught one, you caught more around him. They are also the only cat around here that prefers fresh, live bait than dead or rotting. As a matter of fact, I have yet to catch a sail cat on stinky bait. Hard heads are a schooling fish when young, however, when they mature, they don't school as much, oh, and they are still plenty aggressive. Remember, when have you seen a lazy saltwater catfish? The fact of the matter is that they can't afford to be lazy in the ocean, because the ocean doesn't give out free meals to them, and she damn sure doesn't hand out a free meal to us!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts