Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten away with handling salt cats for 5 years now and no real problems until this weekend. Please don't let this happen to you. Do not under any circumstances try to handle them. Do not let them get anywhere near your body anywhere. I ended up with two deep puncture wounds one on ea hand and a shallow one on leg. Ended up in ER for antibiotics, Tetnus shot, x ray to see if barb was left in hand. This was totally different than any other stick Ive had from a Cat all my life. Do not, Do not try to handle them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Use a dehooker and never touch em or bring em over the gunnel. Slimy jokers.
I actually caught several in the cast net today catching pogies. All shook out except one, had to break one of his fins off to get him out of the net.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you get finned put heat on it--not ice. The heat breaks down the poison. I was in severe pain from a 4" little dud but the heat really made a difference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hate the things. I don't even let them on the boat, I cut them off. I got hit one time trying to un-hook one with needle nose pliers, it flipped back on me and stuck me. Decided I would never let that happen again. They can ruin a weekend for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear your fishing trip and future fishing trips get ruined in the short term by your injury. Hats off for typing this with holes in your hands💪

·
Registered
25 Posts
I knew a guy from out of town that was either surf fishing or pier fishing and got stuck in one of his knuckles. Went to the ER and all that but still doesn't have full range of motion in his hand anymore.

The damn things aren't even good for crab bait.

I use a de-hooker long enough to use on sharks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Saw a kid try to kick a catfish off the pier one day, the pec fin stuck directly into the end of his big toe.

Then his mama beat his ass b/c she had told him to stay away from it.

Poor kid prolly learned his lesson that day, he was screaming bloody murder. Can't imagine how bad that hurt.

·
fun
52 Posts
when i was 15 yo a friend of mine and i were fishing off the destin bridge, we kept catching saltwater catfish one after another he got so tired off it he gets mad and says these *&^% catfish and stomps on one. well the top barb goes through his shoe into his foot. we stopped fishing he was in lots of pain. they are not fun. lol.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ptpainton

Yep my left Thumb is still swollen tight from Knuckle down and red. Right hand is healing up good. Still on Anti Biotics, got to wonder if there is something in that thumb. I would like to do exploratory Surgery on it myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
when i was 15 yo a friend of mine and i were fishing off the destin bridge, we kept catching saltwater catfish one after another he got so tired off it he gets mad and says these *&^% catfish and stomps on one. well the top barb goes through his shoe into his foot. we stopped fishing he was in lots of pain. they are not fun. lol.
My Dad was a freshwater fisherman most of his life. He went saltwater fishing in the FL Key, and caught a catfish. As was his habit, he would step on the catfish, as he unhooked it. The spine ended up going into his foot, broke off, and he ended up soaking his foot everyday until it came out. Took a couple of months.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Catfish killer

So the right hand is now 99 percent healed, the left thumb is 50 percent better. It's still swollen some and pink, antibiotic are gone. My son read somewhere this could go on for months:(. I went back to the scene of the crime, got on the Tarpon I was after but they wouldn't eat. Didn't see one Cat:thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts