Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been using a fillet knife but I’m wasting too much. Every pair I have has been crap straight outta the package. Found these on Amazon - listed as “commercial” and had great reviews. Brand name is Maybrun’s and they seem good, at least they close with no overbite or gaps. Anybody have these or know of a really good brand?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,901 Posts
I've always used a cheap pair of regular 'ole pliers, but that one looks good. I like the flat even biter. Bet it works way better than those cheap cheezy skinning pliers and my cheap pliers.

·
Registered
14,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve used regular pliers only because all my skinners were crap. With regular pliers the skin seems to stick in the tread and on the deep metal surface. I’m hoping these will close better. They were about $13 on Amazon

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Once you start filleting catfish like a regular fish you won’t look back.
On larger fish, very true. I use the skinners more on throats from saltwater fish these days.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,436 Posts
I have an old pair at the house that work great, but I can't remember the name...and I'm at work. Last year I misplaced them and I had to buy another pair. I bought one of those that you have, and they seem to be alright. Luckily I found my pair of old school pliers to fall back on. On a side note I've tried cleaning catfish without skinning them and I hate it ! I've got a shark hook nailed to a tree that makes skinning them easy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's the brand I use - best ones I've found, so far. They also make a model without the black rubber grips, as they tend to wear out and slip off eventually. After skinning between 300-500 fish a summer, I've also found they skin better when fresh - ice seems to tighten the skin to the flesh.

·
Registered
14,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an old pair at the house that work great, but I can't remember the name...and I'm at work. Last year I misplaced them and I had to buy another pair. I bought one of those that you have, and they seem to be alright. Luckily I found my pair of old school pliers to fall back on. On a side note I've tried cleaning catfish without skinning them and I hate it ! I've got a shark hook nailed to a tree that makes skinning them easy.

I filleted with an electric for years and wore it out, my new one works great for crappie but I can’t get the skin side off a cat without leaving big chunks of it. Maybe it’s to sharp? I got a buddy that can skin one faster than I can pick up my knife but he hates my $4.99 Walmart skinners. He has showed me how so I think this is gonna help

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,064 Posts
Keep us posted on how you like th eMaybrun's. Have seen them advertised. My skinner is a piece of junk, but I skin only small cats that will be cooked whole. On the larger cats I use a knife that is not so sharp to filet off the skin, but a sharp knife to remove the filet from the body .Stopped using electric knife on catfish, but still do on crappie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts