Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides using a cast net how the heck do you catch mullet? I was sitting on a dock and had probably 30+ just hanging around for an hour or so. These guys were probably 15-20". I couldn't hook one of them to save my life. I was so pissed. How do you catch these damn things???:banghead

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
i have a 9' brail net. let me know where your dock is and i'll get rid of those for you...:poke

we used to snatch them and let me tell you, a foul hooked mullet will scream drag...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Use a 10/0 -12/0 treble hook with a half ounce weight underneath it. Make sure the hooks are super sharp and file down the barbs. My son and I have snatched 100's like this in the last month. They are about finished roeing out and will be harder to snatch soon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great tips!!! I'm taking some dog food and hope to come up with a mess of them. I hope they like hills sciences diet puppy food....:)

Thanks all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10-4 good buddy.

Ok if i get lucky and can catch a few would anyone recommend eating them? I haven't tried yet but know a lot of people fry them up. Any Tips or tricks?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't know if it works or not but a long time ago, I read an article about a guy who used to chum them up with oatmeal and slice a piece of white plastic worm, put it on a light hook with no weight and let it drift down with the oatmeal. He claimed it worked but I've never tried it or seen it done. It might work I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like someone else said, take some bread and mash it into a ball and put it on a hook, that would be a quick easy try. Toss that into the middle of them and see what you get, my granddad had me do that a long time ago when I was real little. Fresh fried mullet is pretty tasty too. If you want something a little different, lather the fish in mustard instead of milk and then bread them and fry them. I never eat mustard on anything else, but it doesn't taste strong when made like this. Really good eatin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts