Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pretty much fish all along the panhandle but I've had trouble catching live bait. I have had luck with frozen cigar minnows but I would love to get some live ones. I figure a sabiki would be the best way? I have tried them just beyond the breakers with no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Fowlweather_13
189 Posts
Around the Buoys outside of the pass in PC, and along the first drop off outside of the pass at destin where the depth falls from 20 to 50 ft got to hunt them with a good bottom machine but the sabiki is the way to go for hardtails and cigar minnows.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Catching pins was never the problem. I just wanted some good lively bait to target kings with. This summer will be the first time that I have a depth finder so that should make it a lot easier. Last couple years I didn't have one so I was just casting randomly for them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sometimes in the summer the schools of hardtails get skittish and boat shy, if this happens drag a couple of "0" or "00" Clark Spoons way back so you can turn the lure into the school while keeping the boat away.

Most all the reefs have hardtails, ruby red lips etc on them, put someone on bait detail if you are fishing the reef. a small double hook rig, sabiki with squid will both work. Pompano jigs will also produce hardtails.

As several have said, use your bottom machine and fish where they are. Sounds smart aleck like but it isn't meant that way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tip your Sabaki with pieces of cigar minnow. No bigger than the sabiki fly. Bounce just past the sandbar just b4 the water gets visibly deeper. I load up on hardtails and live cigs everytime I go with no issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts