Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a shrimp trawl this month and have never played with one for catching bait before but here is the plan. They sell 6, 8, 10 and 12 foot nets all rigged up and ready to go. From what I understand it is considered a bait net as long as it is pulled into the boat by hand not machine. I am allowed 5 gallons of shrimp for eating 1 gallon for bait but can not go over 5 gallons combined.

Has anyone tried and had success on here or am I waisting my time? I am in Alabama so I am not sure what the regs are in Florida but seems like if I was catching a good number of pins croakers and shrimp with the net I could save a whole bunch of time and money! Let me know what you guys think! Thanks Stuart

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I got one last year and killed the jellyfish. Last year was an awful year for rec shrimping as the season did not open until late June. By then most browns had moved out. I would love to learn more about it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I use one (12 footer)and if you pull in the right places you can catch all the bait/chum you can use pretty dang quick. As far as jellies, we catch the heaviest loads of them in shallower water, Bon Secour Bay, for example. Out in deeper water of the bay, towards the mouth you catch fewer jellies but I have not yet figured out the timing. Sometimes we rake them in and sometimes not. I think I'm going to start using my Humminbird before I drag.

Lots of "sand trout" and croakers, a few pinfish, menhaden and the occasional squid and small crab -more crab near the bottom. Those fresh squid are great bait but wear gloves - they bite, and the crabs and thumbsplitters will hurt you too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts