Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I camp at Fort Pickens every year about this time and have yet to hook up a shark. I went out this morning a caught a couple nice pompano, bluefish, and a lot of catfish. I fileted the pompano and kept some chunk meat from it as well as some menhaden from GBBT and tossed a couple lines out near the end of Fort Pickens tonight on the bay side and the Gaftop cats were the only thing that would hit. After dealing with them nibbling off my bait or having to pull them out I gave up and came in. Is there a better spot to catch shark? I currently have 3 large spinning reels on 8-10’ surf rods with around 350-500yds of line each and 65lb braid. I was using some 14/0 circle shark rigs and the cats just nibble the baits off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I camp at Fort Pickens every year about this time and have yet to hook up a shark. I went out this morning a caught a couple nice pompano, bluefish, and a lot of catfish. I fileted the pompano and kept some chunk meat from it as well as some menhaden from GBBT and tossed a couple lines out near the end of Fort Pickens tonight on the bay side and the Gaftop cats were the only thing that would hit. After dealing with them nibbling off my bait or having to pull them out I gave up and came in. Is there a better spot to catch shark? I currently have 3 large spinning reels on 8-10’ surf rods with around 350-500yds of line each and 65lb braid. I was using some 14/0 circle shark rigs and the cats just nibble the baits off.

Sorry I accidentally posted this in the In-Shore.. thought I was in the Surf forum.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Catch a stingray and cut him up for bait, that will slow the catfish down a little.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
Get a nice sized Bonita, slit cut it, balloon or paddle it out on a jon-boat or canoe. I really don't recommend swimming the bait out or by surfboard, but I've seen idiots do it.
Heard tell a guy paddled out a bait one night on a surfboard, and the instant he tossed the bait into the water, a shark took the bait. Man, talk about good timing, the shark was probably about to snatch him off the board. g/l

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out yesterday and used my pomp head, mullet, and a menhaden in the channel between the sandbars with no luck and then the winds picked up and I couldn’t keep the baits in one spot. When out with some family today on a charter in Orange Beach but will head back out tonight. I did not watch a couple 6 foot shark swim down the first sand bar between me and my baits. Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts