Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning behind the "burning fuel for one or two fish". There are SEVERAL other fish to be caught!!!!! Snapper basically jump on your hooks anyway. We always get the snapper limit in very short order which gives us alot more time to go after other species (AJ, grouper, trigger, dolphin, whities, bb, kings, hoos, sharks, cobia,etc). I'm all for a longer season and a larger limit, if it doesn't happen the snapper are going to eat everything that swims anyway. But IMO people are being too close minded on the subject of FISHING. I have hada fewcustomers with the mindset that if they can't keep 1000lbs of snapper, they would rather stay home???? I think and hope the tides are turning and we will slowly start to an increse in seasons and limits. The science will catch up to what we are all observing and things will be better. Until then, we should not let them discourage us from fishing and enjoying the outdoors due to the regulations onONE species of fish

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Speaking for myself I'd just as soon stay with the two a day limit with the short season. Are dolphins going to feast on released fish ? They definitely will put on some weight off of released fish. To address another issue, culling. How many more fish are going to be fed to the dolphins because people will catch and cull, throwing back dead fish that flipper may or may not eat? What will the mortality rate be of culled fish that are vented and released? These are the hidden costs related to anglers that cull fish so they can take a sow or two home. There is no way to regulate or control sportsmanship and ethics of anglers, this is something that each recreational angler must do willingly.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some anglers will sit there and catch 50 Red Snapper when they only can keep two. There will be some feeding flipper going on there. Some of those fish even though vented properly won't make it even though they got past flipper. In addition, the fish caught in 200 feet + that are vented and released are most likely going to be 100% fatalities. I can see where the sportsman like conduct of recreational anglers will have an impact on our fisheries.

This year I am going to shoot video and photos of boats that I notice culling. I'm also going to pick up dead floaters and take measurement/pics to post along with those of the anglers and the boat they are on. Maybe we need a "Wall of Shame" for posts like that. I'm sure that seeing ones self posted there would be a serious source of embarrassment.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I can't agree more on the culling aspect. On my boats I try so hard to one not cull and two not feed flipper. What do I do? First fish with very large hooks and large baits and light line and weight in shallow water on my 6 and 8 hour trips, That catches large fish or nothing. If flipper comes by we start putting fish in the live well and immediately reel them up and put the planners back out with the spoons for a while then fish another spot. somewhere along the way we release the fish in a NOFLIPPER ZONE and give the guys a chance. No kidding them guys are so smart that they get to know the boats that feed them and the boats that dont. Usually by mid season they dont bother us much since I usually fish the same area everyday durring the snapper season, and I will not feed them, not at all.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010)
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010) this has to do with this year and what the people that actually go to the gulf council meetings are asking for this year..
Captain,

Touché.

Idid not travel to take part in the very gracious 3 minute comment periods that the gulf council allowedfor the general public.

Please sir by allmeans, putme down for two fish and whatever days that amounts too.

Mark

Mark I didnt go over there for the 3 min public comment, Roy Crabtree hosted two round table type question and answer sessions. one on Tuesday and one on Thursday. We sat and all talked asked questions and got answers form the guy himself and one of his top scientist that handles the stock assessment. I learned a lot, a lot of it I didnt like but I learned a lot about what is really going on and why its going on. Roy tries to do this at every gulf council meeting if you can make one it would be worth the trip.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The OLE Season.

I personally would rather have a 2 fish season. Seems to me one would be short changed if there is a 1 fish-70 day season. 2 fish for 50 days seems to be more bang for your buck. Now the For-Hire sector would ratherhave a longer season, they pleaded with NMFS at every meeting I've been to for a longer season. FWC and NMFS have told the charter folks to start selling their customers on different species.

Now for KIM claiming he would measure dead by catch and video such incidents is just plan crazy. Thats one thing that is wrong with society today, people to worried about what other folks are doing. No its not being an ethical fisher to stay in one spot and catch snapper after snapper after snapper. But that is what this fishery is becoming with the current regulations. Now KIM go find a commercial boat and do this exact same thing. I sure you would have more to measure and video. Go find a For-Hire vessel and do the same thing. Don't just pick on the Monkey boats. I have worked in the For-Hire and the commercial sector and also a Monkey Boat , I know which ones have the most discarded by-catch.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Kim (2/9/2010)Sea Monkey I watched about 25 or 30 boats doing that last year. All were center console boats with one exception a 53 Bertram. Commercial people aren't interested in being sportsmen they want profit.
Well you can follow me around on my chartersthis year and video me catching and releasing smaller snappers and keeping the bigger ones. I fish in shallow water 100' or less. A fish caught on a circle hook in that depth will release just fine.

Where the hell do you get off coming on hear a spouting off a bunch of crap you don't know anything about? How many years ofexperience do you have with the snapper fishery? How many days have you snapper fished? How many days a year?

I got news for you, if the actualmortality rate on these released fish matched the propaganda bullcrap your spreading here, our snapper fishery wouldn't be the best it's EVER BEEN.

Grey 21' bay boat with a 150 yamaha 4-stroke (just so you won't have any problem tracking me down with your camera)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Matt Mcleod (2/9/2010)
Kim (2/9/2010)Sea Monkey I watched about 25 or 30 boats doing that last year. All were center console boats with one exception a 53 Bertram. Commercial people aren't interested in being sportsmen they want profit.
Well you can follow me around on my chartersthis year and video me catching and releasing smaller snappers and keeping the bigger ones. I fish in shallow water 100' or less. A fish caught on a circle hook in that depth will release just fine.

Where the hell do you get off coming on hear a spouting off a bunch of crap you don't know anything about? How many years ofexperience do you have with the snapper fishery? How many days have you snapper fished? How many days a year?

I got news for you, if the actualmortality rate on these released fish matched the propaganda bullcrap your spreading here, our snapper fishery wouldn't be the best it's EVER BEEN.

Grey 21' bay boat with a 150 yamaha 4-stroke (just so you won't have any problem tracking me down with your camera)
X2:clap:clap

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010) this has to do with this year and what the people that actually go to the gulf council meetings are asking for this year..
Captain,

Touché.

Idid not travel to take part in the very gracious 3 minute comment periods that the gulf council allowedfor the general public.

Please sir by allmeans, putme down for two fish and whatever days that amounts too.

Mark

Mark I didnt go over there for the 3 min public comment, Roy Crabtree hosted two round table type question and answer sessions. one on Tuesday and one on Thursday. We sat and all talked asked questions and got answers form the guy himself and one of his top scientist that handles the stock assessment. I learned a lot, a lot of it I didnt like but I learned a lot about what is really going on and why its going on. Roy tries to do this at every gulf council meeting if you can make one it would be worth the trip.
FairWater, I personally saw your boat at the Orange Beach protest, with the SOS and SOF(family) sign. You have some big balls to come on here and ask mostly recreational fisherman, questions to help your business.

Not sure how you got Mark4321 to take it easy on you and your support of the SOS, but I am impressed with your brazeness. Have you changed your position on the SOS plan?

If you have the Royal King, Sir Crabtree ear, enough to influence 1 fish 2 fish seasons, why don't you tell him the true state of the Snapper health, and propose longer and larger bag limit seasons????

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think most folks on here and in the general public would rather see a 3 fish, limit 100 days long and no commercial snapper fish allowed.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Water Hazard (2/9/2010)
Matt Mcleod (2/9/2010)

X2:clap:clap

X3 :clap :clap

theres nothing wrong with releasing legal fish until you find the one you want. go ahead and start following me around the bay also while you're at it and watch me release legal redfish, trout, etc. until i find the stud i want to take home

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Run Dover (2/9/2010)
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010) Not sure how you got Mark4321 to take it easy on you and your support of the SOS
I decided to try and become a kinder and gentler person as my new year's resloution.

That saidthe fight against SOS and catch shares for the recreational sector won't be won or lost at Dr. Crabtree's level. We already know thatDr. Crabtreehas the option for recreationalcatch shares in his mind asa management tool and catch sharesare being pushed out ofhis front office.

In my opinion Congressional intervention to changeand add flexibility to the Magnuson law is the best hope against SOS and catch shares.

Mark

21 - 33 of 33 Posts