Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys like a 2 red snapper limit and 51 days or would you rather have a 1 red snapper 75 day season?

The one snapper limit and longer season is something some of us are looking into. I dont know how many days they would give us at 1 fish, I know that it would not be 100 because of discard mortality but lets just say they are thinking of around 50 days at 2 or 75 days at 1 which one would you chose.

Im torn on issue both options really suck so its hard for me to choose. What do yall think?

·
Registered
615 Posts
If i had to burn the same amount of gas everytime i go out I would rather do it for two fish rather than one, no matter how long the season is. Just my two cents...:banghead

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dylan (2/9/2010)I bet youd be hard pressed to find someone who would want only 1 fish and 20 more days
Recreational fishermen are going to want 2 fish and 51 days over 1 fish and 70 days I would think. Charter boat captains probably want 1 fish limit and 20 more days....they would be able to sell 'red snapper' charters for 20 more days and charge the same amount for the charter no matter whether the limit is 1 or 2 ARS. The original poster of the thread is a charter boat captain, so you see why he may prefer 1 fish limit 70 day season...$$$$$$$$$.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
2fish for fewer days is what I pick.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Brad, I agree...Its a funny convo on the party boat when you tell those people it has to go back in the drink..:moon

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont really know which would be better for business. I have plenty of business questions to answer for myself first like, will my charters still pay $1000 for a 6 hour and only 1 snapper? I know they will pay it for 2 we had a banner season last year durring the snapper season on 6 hour trips. Or will they just want to go on 4 hour trips and catch 6 snapper that would cost me $300 bucks per trip. If I loose a bunch of 6 hour trips because of it durring peak time that would hurt. I know that I can run plenty of 4 hour trolling trips in August if there is no snapper season.

I know we need as many days as possible but just catching 1 fish would not be too much fun for me. Im leaning towards 2 fish, I sure hope we can get all of June and July at least 60 days.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Might as well be 2 fish for 50 days if I have to burn the fuel.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010)I dont really know which would be better for business. I have plenty of business questions to answer for myself first like, will my charters still pay $1000 for a 6 hour and only 1 snapper? I know they will pay it for 2 we had a banner season last year durring the snapper season on 6 hour trips. Or will they just want to go on 4 hour trips and catch 6 snapper that would cost me $300 bucks per trip. If I loose a bunch of 6 hour trips because of it durring peak time that would hurt. I know that I can run plenty of 4 hour trolling trips in August if there is no snapper season.

I know we need as many days as possible but just catching 1 fish would not be too much fun for me. Im leaning towards 2 fish, I sure hope we can get all of June and July at least 60 days.

Captain,

Pardon me but I haveto ask, since youare signed on as an SOS plan supporter.Is this an informal survey in view of the potential for SOS in the charter sector, or a survey done without taking into account theSOS plan at all?

In all sincerity I wish you all the luck in the world running your business absent the SoS plan support.

Mark

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Nat (2/9/2010)I would prefer 50 days in Sept and Oct and keep it closed in June and July
Of that 50 days, you would be fortunate to have 25 days that the weather would be nice. Its not even 50 days if you have a hurricane or tropical storms. That may have some asking about IFQs.... Not myself though. I have enough paperwork as it is.

I can't wait to feed 4 pound snapper to flipper. That is exactly what will happen right up to opening day and for the month and half we fish after the season is closed. Now... how much sense does that make?

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010)I dont really know which would be better for business. I have plenty of business questions to answer for myself first like, will my charters still pay $1000 for a 6 hour and only 1 snapper? I know they will pay it for 2 we had a banner season last year durring the snapper season on 6 hour trips. Or will they just want to go on 4 hour trips and catch 6 snapper that would cost me $300 bucks per trip. If I loose a bunch of 6 hour trips because of it durring peak time that would hurt. I know that I can run plenty of 4 hour trolling trips in August if there is no snapper season.

Captain,

Pardon me but I haveto ask, since youare signed on as an SOS plan supporter.Is this an informal survey in view of the potential for SOS in the charter sector, or a survey done without taking into account theSOS plan at all?

In all sincerity I wish you all the luck in the world running your business absent the SoS plan support.

Mark
Mark this has nothing to do with SOS support this has to do with this year and what the people that actually go to the gulf council meetings are asking for this year. There are people asking Roy Crabtree to see how many days we would get if we go to 1 fish this year.

Since the season is set in stone opening up on June 1st this year any dates going past August 15th dont do too much for me, since the customers for me drops off so badly. If there was a way I could get back like all of MAYthen I probally would be for the 1 fish.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010)
markw4321 (2/9/2010)
Fairwaterfishing (2/9/2010) this has to do with this year and what the people that actually go to the gulf council meetings are asking for this year..
Captain,

Touché.

Idid not travel to take part in the very gracious 3 minute comment periods that the gulf council allowedfor the general public.

Please sir by allmeans, putme down for two fish and whatever days that amounts too.

Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts