Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a forbidden topic (especially for a charter Captain) but when we can't keep much, is it still not fun just to tug on something and be out on the water with friends and family? I know most of you have your own boats, so this is more of a hypothetical question for next years marketing in the off months. We, without a doubt, have the greatest bottom fishery in the world with more artificial reefs and bottom habitat than most places combined.Trophy snapper,Amberjack, and grouper are a weekly occurance around the docks, but if we can't keep them, then most people don't bother fishing for them. No where in the world is it more possible to catch a 25-30+lb red snapper. I mean people pay for tarpon charters, marlin, peacock bass, roosterfish, etc all for thethrill of the hunt.So the basic question is, if you had a chance at a trophy bottom fish but could not keep it, would you still give it a shot or not???? Thanks for your votes,replys and input.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Depends on the situation, how much would it cost to release a fish? From some quotes, 100.00? F- that! If your someone from Shaboinkee, Fine. Im from here.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ADRENALINE (1/17/2010)99.9% of my clients are from out of the area. I guess I should say for locals,is meat what you fish for or do you also still enjoy catching snapps, grouper, aj, etc when they're out of season.Looking for an angle during all of this down time, I'm getting to fat.
Were all getting that! Fishing is "A", A love , "B" a habbit, "C" a desire.Its as some say, A drug!If people are "Novist" about fishing, That would be cool to show themhow to fish. If there capable of operating a reel.:bangheadI would not be a good teacher of fishing I think. Maybe an explainer of how they live.

·
Registered
391 Posts
we will do more trolling for kings, wahoo, mahia,BFT,& cobia fishing in spring... untill NMFS finally realizes red snapper are Overpopulating.. :banghead which will run off grouper etc.. bottom fishing catch & release doesn't work IMO because too many die... we'll practice some filet AND release on fish that die...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think it is a good ideal. I hope it works out for the charter fleet.After all they are just trying to make a living off the resources available to them on the water. You are right about paying for tarpon,bonefish,marlin and other game fish charters. The word just needs to be presented that it is a fishing trip for catch and release of some very nice fish that we have in the area.We will be fishing come Feb to the end of March. And just like last year if we catch a 45 pound gag it will be released. Tim,s 42 pound red snapper was caught out of season but after it was weigh, vented and a few pictures were taken, back she went to fight another day.But what a great memory to have. Catch and releasedoes work if that's what, we have to work with. Go for it. Gene

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I would pay for it depending on the cost but thats what I do out of my boat anyway, The Fish We keep are for my Friends and Family Members that fish with me, I release 98.9 % of all the fish I catch, It's My Passion As Long as My rod Is Bent over and The Drag Screaming I.m having the time of my Life, It To Me Feels good to fight a Big Fish and Then Say Thank you for the Fight and watch it swim away to fight another day,Don't get me wrong I love to eat Seafood, This is just How I fish!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My $.02. If the majority of the people you have on your boat are from out of the area-it's a great idea. If I fished in the Gulf on a once a year trip, I would prefer (and expect) to catch a few decent fish. Knowing up front that I will catch fish but may have to toss them back in up front sets up the expectation sonoone is suprised or disappointed.

Your concept is exactly what I do with visiting family and friends that just want to catch fish. They love to get a few pics to brag to their friends back home that they caught huge (relatively speaking) fish while in Florida. On the other hand when me and my local friends fish we target what is in season and biting.If we get skunked we accept it as a part of the sport and enjoy the day we had on the water.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The biggest problem is that most bottom fish die when you pull them up from 200' of water (where most of the big snapper and grouper live). In my opinion venting only makes the fish go down but itis still going to die. It's organs basically implode on the way up.

AJ's make a much better candidate for c&r because they don't need venting.

·
Registered
391 Posts
if I had a big boat like yours... fishing out of OB....i'd fish the oil rigs for kings, aj's, tuna, cobia, release anything out of season.... real problem is way, way. WAYtoo many red snapper..... nmfs ARE DUMB :moon

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I think people who go on charters go because they love to fish. Otherwise it would be cheaper and easier to stop by Joe pattie's or the sea food section of their grocery store. I could see it working.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
younghooker (1/17/2010)if I had a big boat like yours... fishing out of OB....i'd fish the oil rigs for kings, aj's, tuna, cobia, release anything out of season.... real problem is way, way. WAYtoo many red snapper..... nmfs ARE DUMB :moon
I would love to do that! but, believe it our not, not many people come to this area for that kind of fishing. They all go to Venice?????? I've tried talking some of my clients into it and all they say is "soundsawesome" but I guess money is tight and those are more expensive trips. As far as the bottom fish mortality, we wouldn't be fishing very deep and we are very expireinced in venting fish that need it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think promoting release fishing is an excellent idea. Not everyone has to have 600 lbs of meathitting the dock at the end of the day. Good luck to all, as we deal with absurd fishing regs and aninsane government too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts