Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

How I feel about my catamaran

• Love it, rides like a cowgirl on a trained pony.

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Like it, but I just wish..... (add comments to your post)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have one, trying to sell it because.....

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Sold my cat, bought a .........

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ow, my back! After the past few trips in this chop, I'm seriously thinking about a change. Cat owners, let me hear it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a cat and they have some positives but they're not a complete cure-all. I often say that my 26.5 ft planing cat rides about like a 3-4 ft. longer monohull would. Straight into the 2+ ft. waves will pound like any boat. But if you go 25 kts or less and trim the nose down it's not bad. The best point is quartering either into or especially with the waves (following seas). Even in heavy seas it rides quite well quartering and doesn't have the tendency to carve a turn and broach the way a v-hull can. In fact, with hydraulic steering, you can take your hands off the wheel sometimes for minutes at a time running in rough quartering seas. I don't know if that applies to all cats though.
But, of course, for pounding problems, speed is the enemy. Either you go slow and manage it without pounding or you just bite the bullet and gun it for skimming across the wave peaks to make the pounding time shorter.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
In a confused sea they can beat your brains out. They also catch a lot of wind in comparison to other boats so you may have to step up your anchor size. If you like to drift fish, the drift will be considerably faster. Other than that, what Hoo2 said.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My wife and I bought a 22 ft. Twin Vee that was our first boat purchase, and we both like the stabililty when its a little choppy but like Hoo2 said they will pound you like any boat does when riding in rougher seas. We don't really use it much anymore so after we get some work done on the trailer, and get some wiring issues fixed (bait well pump not working), we plan on selling it. It's been a good little boat but somebody needs to using it more than we are!

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,168 Posts
I've had 2 cats. First was a Twin Vee. https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f21/i-broke-my-boat-yesterday-540673/?amp=1

Loved the boat until the day I broke it. Always had water standing in the stern.

Next boat was a 21' Sport Cat. https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f50/21-seacraft-sport-cat-879641/ Nice stout boat, a bit short, no where to get in out of the weather.

I now own a 245 C-Hawk monohull. As always, every boat is a trade off. I stay dry. :thumbsup: The cabin is hot this time of year. But, I stay dry. :thumbsup:

I feel 100% safe with this boat, it's capable of getting me home in some really bad seas. Hope I never have to test how bad. :whistling:

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Loved mine. Rode great. Just wished it was easier to load. But that had a lot to do with the current at Boggy Point.

May buy another one. Maybe a Freeman.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
26ft Twin Vee here. It rides better than any boat under 30' Ive been on....until it doesnt.

2' confused chop? No problem, just crushes along like its nothing. Throw some 3+ waves in there and it can suck. They way I look at it, when its 3+ Im either not going or on my way home any way. Id rather ride awesome 90% of the time and just bear with it the 10% it sucks.

Another factor is the room. Cats have way more fishing room than a same sized mono hull. I honestly cant ever see my self going back to a deep V center console, the positives far out weigh the negatives for me. Sure they can be a bit "funny" to drive at first but after being on mine, it now feels "funny" when I get on a deep v. Your body right now is use to a mono and in time will get use to a cat.

·
Super Moderator
28,502 Posts
Sold my 18 ft cat single engine and bought a 22 Key West...Loved my cat, would have gotten a bigger twin motor one but they don't have the seating like I wanted fer family times... Definitely can see another one in my future though!

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas. Have a friend with a 26 Twin Vee. We are planning a trip or two with him to judge the ride, test drive, etc.

Our current boat is a 2950 Proline. Big cabin, AC, sat tv, galley, head, and all the goodies. It will be tough to give up, but it's not a heavy water boat. Rides like crap when loaded. Can't run less than 30 mph and stay on plane. I can hold her at 25 and she will hunt 30. In slop that's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Maybe you aren't running the best choice of props. Those planing speeds seem really high. Don't you have twin 300s?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you aren't running the best choice of props. Those planing speeds seem really high. Don't you have twin 300s?
Yes I do had twin 300s.
Am running 3 blade 3x16x18.5
Wondering if 4 blade would give more lift in the stern.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got a 27' world cat in destin. you're welcome to go for a ride in it. It rides great in 1-2 foot chop. Beyond that, I trod along like everybody else, maybe 1 or 2 miles per hour faster. I will say that when your are really pounding it does not slam you like you are probably use to expecting. It's more of a gentle landing, but still at 3s and 4s, I stay home. Previous posts are pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yes I do had twin 300s.
Am running 3 blade 3x16x18.5
Wondering if 4 blade would give more lift in the stern.
Maybe talk to the prop shop guys on Canal Rd and try something different. It's not like you have a boat made for speed. Comfort is what you want.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I have a 22 Twin Vee with twins. I will never go back to a mono hull. 26 Twin Vee is in my future!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ordering new 35’ Invincible Cat
Will be my first so let you know
Time spent on 40’ Inv Cat is impressive
Never been a Cat fan, but never said I wouldn’t try one

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Boat-Dude, I have been talking with him. That is the EXACT boat I want!!

Reactions: Boat-Dude
1 - 20 of 26 Posts