Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tips to increase my casting distance. Using pen 11ft Penn Prevail surf rods with Penn 4500 and 6500 Spinfisher V reels. 17 lb and 20 lb test mono and usually 3 oz weights. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Switching to braid would help, but if you want to stay with mono/nylon lines I'd look at copolymer lines like silverthread or Hi Seas Black Widow. They are much thinner and exceptionally strong. Go to 14-16lb in these lines and you'll notice a huge change.

Learn to use a proper pendulum style cast as well. This will fully load the blank and get every ounce of energy you put into your cast.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Pendulum cast technique is key. Like Chris V said, move to brain with a mono or Fleuro leader.

I will also add that the top 10% largest surf fish (not counting sharks) that I have caught were in the wash trough where the surf skim washes back into the oncoming wave. You know, that little 1ft drop off right as you step into the water. Maybe 5ft into the surf. Big Black Drum and Reds like to ride in there. Especially right before sundown. I dont know about right at sunrise. I never get up that early. haha

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Large guides on the rod will also help. And don't wind the weight up near the rod tip - let it hang a couple of feet down before you cast. (Is this what a pendulum cast entails?)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can get the load and pendulum swing at the same time you can launch just about anything. Friends of mine used to go to local football fields and practice...helps with accuracy as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts