Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a few years since I’ve cast netted larger menhaden. i dont remember the time of year. When and where is the best time to fill up a net with some? Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Right now and wherever they are. Pelicans are a pogie hunter's best friend. If you see pelicans bombing from up high this time of year, run to them because it's pogies. They like to feed on muddy bottom so that's where they'll spend the most time. On sand bottom, they'll be traveling, always headed west. Don't throw your best net at them right now and be prepared to patch because you will get shark damage.

Reactions: DLo and Bodupp

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. Where are they? Lower bays or upper bays? Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sometimes when they're in deeper water and not flipping, you'll see a big mud caused by them rooting into the bottom. Ease over them with your bottom machine and you should see them. I saw a school last year in 20' of water that actually had a small whirlpool on the surface, like you pulled the plug on your tub. I asked an old time purse seine captain if he'd ever seen that and his eyes lit up. He said yes, when you see that in deep water, you're in the money.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,987 Posts
Here kitty kitty kitty.

I've seen them all out in the gulf about 2weeks ago, and more recently was told in the bay 3-mile bridge area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts