Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a cast net suitable for live bait. What size net and mesh would be recommended? Can a bait net also double as a mullet net? Have never owned or threw a net. Info would be appreciated as to size, cost and any other info not asked for that would be helpful in knowing what and where to buy. tks dan

·
Registered
931 Posts
i just use a 6' net with 3/8 inch holes and it works fine for pinfish,finger mullet,fat heads, LYs round a inch and ive caught 4 full sized mullet in one throw withit before.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Check out steve at lost key bait/tackle. He has everything marked down to clearance since he is going out of business. I was in there Sat morning and saw a few bait nets . I believe they were 7 foot. I didn't catch the price but I am sure hewill give ya the best deal he can :bowdown

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You would really need two nets to cover bait and mullet needs effectively. A 3/8" works best for small to medium baits for trout and reds while 3/4 would sink faster on large menhaden and cigars. 1" is the minimum mesh size for mullet. If you want to bemore productive at catching your own bait and mullet I recommend learning to throw at least an 8' net using the double load method. Once you determined the size net you can manage, then there's total weght you can customise but that can be confusing. A fast sink rate is good , but can you throw a heavier net a dozen or more times. Just take the builders recomendation on weight and go from there then adjust on your next net purchase. Good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Want to thank everyone who replied to my questions about cast/bait nets. Bought a 7' bait net at lost key bait 7 tackle sale. It will do fine to learn with and who knows may decide to get a mullet net at later date. once again tks everyone. dan

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Good. I figured that if anyone could hook ya up with a super price it would be steve.. Now just find ya a good grassy spot outside and start "pretendin" those are bait swimmin in that grass:clap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts