Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have already views my thread about making my own bait net but I am curious about a "menhaden" net as well. I mostly catch shad for catfishing but I would like to expand upon my experiences. I have details and some videos on the link in my signature for my 1/2" net I'm making now. I was thinking about making one with 1" mesh about 10 foot with 15 lbs of weights using either #3 or #6 bonded nylon because its thinner than mono for its break strength. I also have considered a cheap 30 lbs dyneema braid from eBay because its stronger and thinner still. Another problem is that I live nowhere near saltwater so I may need a volunteer to test it for me... ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Doc I think either the nylon or braid would work well, but I think the 1" opening would be a little large for menhaden. Most mullet nets are 1" you would probably loose way too many menhaden with that size mesh, but you'd have a mullet slaying net. For the menhaden I'd go with 1/2"... But that's just my two cents worth. I saw your other thread on your current build looks great, I'd like to see the finished product.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm anxious to see it too! I've never had the chance to fish saltwater but want to so bad I can almost taste it. I just like tying nets so as for what it would catch I'm clueless but I want to build a 1" net just to say I have ya know..

I'm having problems finding weights and swivels. The only ones I find are expensive. I wouldn't mind taking an order if someone wants a net cheap. I just want to see if i can make a real useable net.

·
Big Ole' FAT
50 Posts
You have a good point there.. .if you could actually drop the webbing size to 1/4 inch while getting the sink rate like a 1/2 or 1".. that would be something. The problem I have with all the nets is that for the smaller baits it's more like a gill net and it takes a couple minutes to get the smaller baits out of the net before casting it again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out fishing today at the river and as I was catching bait with my crappy net with more patches than webbing I got to thinking about how the net falls in the water. I think I can design a cast net that uses 1/4 mesh but would look like a tuna can. I would go 4 foot radius and tie in a floatcore rope around the circumference to make the "top" of the "can." then go another 16/18 inches down to the lead line to make the "wall" of the can.

My thinking is that the webbing between the float line and the lead line would make a circular wall over the bait and the top would prevent them from hopping the wall. It should reach the bottom faster and if used in 3 to 4 feet of water the lead line should reach bottom before the baitfish figure out where to run.

Any input or am I over thinking this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts