Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Work Hard, Fish Harder...
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am tired of catching bait with sabikis, so I need some help to steer me to the right direction with casting the net from the boat to catch bait, how difficult would be to catch with a cast net from the boat? I know would need heavier weights, around 2 lbs/ft but Is that really doable? If so what type of cast net and anyone here sale them?
And last Do we need to chum the bait?

Thanks a lot guys…

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,092 Posts
It's doable with a bag net, but you'll need a fast sinking net depending on the spread and the water depth you're in.
We have netted them at the buoy just past the Mass (before it started floating around :unsure:).
also try not to get too close to any structure when the current is moving fast.
My cousin found out about that when it wrapped the buoy once.

* he used a 12' (24' spread) net.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Honestly, most days are better with the sibiki. On just the right day with all the stars aligned a bait net will get you what you need and it is like knocking a home run. We always take the net just in case we get lucky. Cigar minnows in shallow water, yeah, can be done but you will work for it. They are super fast. If you can throw in the dark with a light, you will probably have the best luck. Bait boats always get their bait in the dark hours of the early morning. Lots of cool you tube videos. Best of luck.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
13,073 Posts
LYer nailed it, if the bait is full packed in shallow water yes you can nail them but cigs in deeper water no way. I could get LYs at the pier all day long because of the structure. I have even used a 6' small net in the center of the turret of the Mass but only if everything is right. I have a 10' - 3/8 mesh with 17lbs of lead and it didn't even come close to getting cigs in 10' of water.

Netting away from the pier is new to me because I haven't had a boat long so I am still figuring it out. I hear of people chumming but most of the time the current is moving to fast. The bait boat guys all get their bait at night. I have seen many schools of cigs in the pass in shallower water but everyone cuts through there so it's not worth it the bait stays on the bottom.

If I knew the secret I would tell yall.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pulling in a load of bait with a cast net is a very satisfying feeling. I use a 3/8 mesh 8 ft calusa. I also have a 3/8 mesh 10 ft Tim Wade, but I ripped it up pretty good on debris after Sally. The Tim Wade is the best net I’ve ever thrown. I don’t think you can get them anymore. I’m considering a Black Pearl for my next net.

The heavier, the better for anything over 4-6 ft deep. I usually throw in the marina or around shore in the bay in Alabama. I’ve never chummed, I just look for them. On the Gulf side, I’ve had more luck with the Sabiki.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Pulling in a load of bait with a cast net is a very satisfying feeling. I use a 3/8 mesh 8 ft calusa. I also have a 3/8 mesh 10 ft Tim Wade, but I ripped it up pretty good on debris after Sally. The Tim Wade is the best net I’ve ever thrown. I don’t think you can get them anymore. I’m considering a Black Pearl for my next net.

The heavier, the better for anything over 4-6 ft deep. I usually throw in the marina or around shore in the bay in Alabama. I’ve never chummed, I just look for them. On the Gulf side, I’ve had more luck with the Sabiki.
Tim Wade is building me a net for cigar minnows and a mullet net as we speak. You can call him at 321-508-2836 and he will hook you up. He's running about a week and a half out. Best nets in Florida!

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim Wade is building me a net for cigar minnows and a mullet net as we speak. You can call him at 321-508-2836 and he will hook you up. He's running about a week and a half out. Best nets in Florida!
Thanks a lot corpsman, I want to have it in the boat just in case, bait has been difficult to get lately.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bait was piled up at the Mass this morning. Bait so thick you could walk on them. All sizes of Ly's and the cigs on the very bottom.
Thats great! hopefuly they will be there for while, planning a trip on sunday. Thanks for the report...

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered this one on Amazon Friday and got delivered Sunday, it has 1.5 lb per foot, not really big fan of the green but lotta guys said it should not really matter IDK, will post a report here as soonest I use it. Thanks a lot guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts