Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonya, Connor, one of Connor's buddy's and I put the Slot Machine in the water on Cotton Bayou before lunch this morning, after idlling out and around Robinson Island we ran down Old River and check the bottom of several Holes. We were bouncingGulp tipped jigs on the bottomand didn't find anything interesting. After not putting hooks into anything that we were proud to hook, we decided to run around Ono Island andpoint the boat to the north and follow it for a while.

After a fairly long run in some extremely nice weather we arrived at a bank witha string of docks that have a history of producing some good Flounder numbers. We idled up to the first dock and down went the trolling motor. As we got close enough to the end of the dock to make a shot at skipping a jig under the end of the dock, I made a shot at it, and hit the end of the dock and the jig fell without going under the shade as I intended. I allowed the jig to sink to the bottom and it began it's bouncing return to the boat only to be stopped by something with other plans for the tasty looking little imitation. I allowed the abductor to feel as if he had been successful in taking the little jig as his own. He began making his way back to his shady noontime parlor and as the line came tight I attempted to set the jig's hook into the unseen excitement of mineat the other end of the line. Upon feeling the sting of the jig's hook, he had a few surprises as well, and ran hard under the dock and promptly wrapped the light mono line around what appeared to be every piling that held the dock up. After a short session of trying to repair my pride, I tied on another jig, while Tonya and the boy's worked the dock with the same plan as I had. It wasn't but just a few seconds after I had sat down the bow of the boatwith the intent of tying on anew jig, before a 17" Flounder was laying at my feet and a proud Connor was standing at the ready for me to unhook the flat fish so he could go after another. I unhooked the tasty Flounder and put him away into the safty of the rear livewell and went back to my attempt to get back into the game. I got the new jig tied on and was in the process of getting a gulp bait out of the little bucket they come in, when I hear Tonya's lovely laugh and here comes another Flounder that could have easily been the twin of the onelearning about hisnew lairin the livewell. After I got the second one reaquainted with his twin, I made a cast that redeemed my first effort and the jig skipped 3 times and landed well under the dock and fell to the bottom. I picked the line and came tight on the little jig in order to bounce it along the bottom and fool one for the flat fish and show the other anglers that I can do what I obviously had a problem getting done minutes earlier. As I attempted to make the jig look to be alive, I invisioned what it may havelooked like as it swam under the old boards that have probably seen others do the same thing I was doing, when the jig seemed to come to a snag and simply stopped. Never did I feel a tap or anything that would have been typical of a "bite". Feeling I should be better safe than sorry after having my first attempt won by the opponent, I swiftly set the hook and was into something that had as much if not more attitude than I did. After a strong tug of war the Flounder came out from under the old dock and was on the way into the landing net. Just over 23" and sweet redemtion was now mine, and now we have the start to a good box of fish, and what could very well be a great dinner to be enjoyed later.

After we got to the other end of the string of docks, the livewell in the back of the boat was home to 18 Flounder that the smallest of which was 17" and the largest was just over 23".

It was cool to see everyone finding the way to be able to target this species and be successful at capturing them, and doing it with artificial bait. If you have the oppertunity to take another out on the water and show them things you know about targeting, finding and catching a specific species of fish, please take them and teach the sport you have learned to love, and help pass it on. Showing someoneelse how to catch fish that you have learned to catch and watching them as they are successful under your tutelage, is far greater thanmaking the catchyourself. There is a Wonderful reward waiting for you if you try it, and it will be very obvious and easy to see.

I wish you Good Light and Clear Water.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
With Curtis' play by play coverage, who needs:takephoto... I could even see that stupid DOA (yeah, I know he said Gulp, but it's my imaginatioin :moon)skipping along the bottom past the pilings... Geesh!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,280 Posts
As usual Curtis, great post brother......:toast Glad some flatties were caught!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts