Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Bahamas. Can you carry on bonefish flies and jigs? Or do you have to check them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pack half carry on half. Or pack them and keep enough to fish with in your carry on that you don’t mind tossing. I have never had a problem carrying them on, but I always pack some in my checked luggage (if I have any).

·
Registered
698 Posts
I’ve been in airports in Central America and the Caribbean and watched tsa agents make people pull off all the line from fly reels and toss it. But I still generally carry on my travel rod and lures/flies on domestic flights. I think you’ll be fine they are used to it there.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,932 Posts
I’ve been in airports in Central America and the Caribbean and watched tsa agents make people pull off all the line from fly reels and toss it. But I still generally carry on my travel rod and lures/flies on domestic flights. I think you’ll be fine they are used to it there.
The TSA is operating in central america?

tsa-612649.JPG

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
Had flies and reels packed in my carry on the last 2 trips to Alaska. Zero issues.

Stripping fly reels? TSA can eat a dick.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I carried a roll of leader, a PLB, handheld VHF and charger, no problems out of Pensacola airport. BUT, sometimes they want to pat down my groin, sometimes they don’t, so I would check the TSA prohibited items list and have a backup plan in case you run into issues. I would also get through the TSA lines at least an hour before boarding in case they don’t allow certain things, so you can go back to the front check in counter and check your equipment bag to destination.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can certainly carry that all on domestically. I have many times. Just got back from fishing out of Santa Monica late last night - 3 rods/reels and plenty of hooks/lures.

However, other countries can be hit or miss. Just be aware. No country has ever hassled me (so far) for rods or reels as carry on and I would suggest you do carry them if possible to keep safe. Terminal tackle and other stuff like pliers etc are easy to check. If I am planning to fish, I normally travel with a knock-off soft Yeti (if it says Yeti it is likely to be stolen) and normally put my tackle and gear in that and check it and use the cooler to bring back fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts