Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions when using larger chunk bait for snapper/grouper....do you prefer a knocker rig or Carolina rig? I have always used a Carolina rig because I have always used live bait, but I'm going to give chunked, brined lady fish a shot for a change. What do you guys/gals think would be the best strategy?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Knocker rig with light weight and Chumm. Try different depths. usually on the boat we will have a free line out the back, knocker rig mid column and someone with Carolina

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I worked on a charter boat, we used cut bait on a knocker rig over wrecks for snapper.
That's kinda what I was leaning towards....especially since the better fish are higher up in the water column. I think (I could be wrong) that using a Carolina rig would allow slack in the line that would mask a bite. I have also been thinking about a chicken rig to keep the weight on the bottom to better feel the bite. Anyhow, thanks SHunter….I'm just trying to get some ideas from so of you pros. Thanks for your response, and tight lines!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knocker rig with light weight and Chumm. Try different depths. usually on the boat we will have a free line out the back, knocker rig mid column and someone with Carolina
We will be on a party boat, so I probably can't get away with using anything less than 6oz unfortunately....thanks for your response.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,899 Posts
If you're going to be on a charter boat, you'll most likely fish the rig they have already set up for patrons. I personally prefer carolina, and after hitting bottom, I reel up 10-12 cranks to bring it (bait) above the structure.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
The charter boat that I worked was 8 oz sinkers but we were mostly private groups and not a party boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts