Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been using alum arrows for quite sometime now. havent had a chance to shoot anything and its time for new vanes. should i just save that money and go with the carbons or stick with the alum. need some opinions. plus im prob going to invest in a new sight if i get carbon arrows so i need some advice on a good pin sight as well. thanks

kevin

·
Registered
478 Posts
You'll probably get all kinds of different opinions on this one,but if it was me I would change to carbon.They are lighter and you don't have to worry about them bending.I've been shooting the same dozen for about 4 years and have killed 13 deer and 5 hogs with them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made the switch two years ago, and i love shooting the carbons. Light, fast, and flat shooting... makes me wonder why i didn't switch sooner.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would go with the carbon arrows. I made the switch last year and they are more durable and are lighter so they shoot a little faster. I shoot the Beman's and love them. As far as a pin sight goes it is hard to beat the Copper John Dead Nuts. It is simple and made of aluminum so it is very durable. It also is not so expensive it will break the pocket book. If you are not worried about the money thing look at the fuse sights. I bought one of these this past year and man is it sweet. It has suppressors built in so it is quiet as hell. The pins are also made of metal so they will not break or tweak on you. Either sight is good and there are many other good ones out there but I like durability. By the way I had a buddy shoot a seven point this past weekend in full velvet. He shot it with the two blade Rage broadheads and I have never seen an entrance hole like that. It must have been a 3" cut. Man those things are devastating. I may have to make the change.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
A carbon shaft is either straight or broke. No inbetween like a bent alluminum. I shoot easton axis and love them. Just make sure you get an arrow with enough spine for your draw length and poundage. Just because it's super light and will make your bow shoot 290fps doesn't mean it will shoot good groups. If it doesn't have enough spine you will never be accurate. I'd rather hit my spot than get there faster everyday.

I also shoot a copper john sight. All alluminum, no plastic to break, easy to sight in, easy on the wallet as well.

Good Luck.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Shoot a carbon arrow with a retractable wasp jak hammer II. Bad to the bone. 10 years shooting retractables and 100% kill and find ratio.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Shot Easton XX75 for years but got out of bows for a while... got me some carbons now that I am back into bows and love them in my Bowtech! I was hard presses to go to them after my break from a bow but got talked into them. (I use to shoot 3D many years ago but never hunted with a bow....)

No need to check to see if they are true before you shoot them, fast, quiet and light. I wouldn't shoot another AL arrow now that I have used them for a while! I did make sure my arrows were tweaked to the max though! I made sure they were all cut right and even made sure that the broad heads were tightened into inserts and aligned with the fletchings before the glue set. Maybe overkill but the guys at Outcast hung with my overkill ass and made sure I was happy.

I would go with Carbon if I were you!!!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
definitely carbon, but their are some carbons to stay away from..... spott hog is one of the best imo, copper john is a fine sight, tru glo is a super fine sight for the money..... not enough adjustibility but a fine sight.... many fine sights on the market

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
lollygagger (10/16/2007)definitely carbon, but their are some carbons to stay away from..... spott hog is one of the best imo, copper john is a fine sight, tru glo is a super fine sight for the money..... not enough adjustibility but a fine sight.... many fine sights on the market
Is this post referring to Carbon or Aluminum sights are is it referring to Carbon or Aluminum Arrrows???????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been shootin' carbon for near over15 yrs. Aluminum is for beer cans. I've missed the target once or twice and one o' those times centered a small oak about 3 1/2" across. The arrow went THROUGH the tree about 4". I cut the tree down and shot that arrow until I lost it eventually with all the other original arrows I bought that year, when they came with "Outserts" instaed of inserts because the diameter was too small for conventional inserts. The walls of the arrows back then were very thick and the only way to get a tip or broadhead on there was to glue a cap onto the outside of the arrow. Those thicker arrows were the toughest thing I've ever seen. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the penetration advantage of Carbon -vs- Aluminum. Carbon more than doubles it. I've shot a Mckenzie lifesize whitetail with bith. the aluminum would stop halfway through, the carbon would stick 6" out of the back. This was before they changed the diameter on the carbons to match that of the aluminum arrows. I was so glad when they went back to the smaller diameter carbons. So.......Carbon then. Carbon now. Carbon forever. Pass me another ice cold aluminum beer can.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I started archery about 4 years ago. I usedto buy aluminum Eastons..I found a carbon Redhead in the Green Swamp WMA one day.Immediately my groups went from 4 inches to 2 1/2 inches..With a new rest I closed it up to 2 inches..Carbons..can not bend , they are skinnier and lighter..so if you got an old slow bow..you will see great improvement. I bought mine at Walmart 3 years ago and am still using them..Terminators 6075 with 100 grain tips.31 inch..I love carbons..They are not a bunch of hype..they go faster and straighter..I wil never shoot another aluminum.

C7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Small diameter carbon like Easton Epic ST.....much better penetration...and as for sights, try the 3 pin Toxonics w/fiber optic pins covered by metal sleeves. Great sight, can almost see at dark!

Good Luck

kd

·
Registered
433 Posts
Grassflatsfisher (10/15/2007)A carbon shaft is either straight or broke. No inbetween like a bent alluminum. I shoot easton axis and love them. Just make sure you get an arrow with enough spine for your draw length and poundage. Just because it's super light and will make your bow shoot 290fps doesn't mean it will shoot good groups. If it doesn't have enough spine you will never be accurate. I'd rather hit my spot than get there faster everyday.

Good Luck.

Thas pretty good advice, I have been shooting carbons for about 10 years now and have never looked back. I am shooting Easton Axis as well, if your draw length is un 28" and your pulling less than 65#'s you would be fine with the 500's, if you're a little over that you would be fine with 400's... I am pulling 62#'s with 27" draw and can put 4 in a gatorade top with Easton Field tips, so if you're around that 500's or 400's will be ok for you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's hard to beat a Trophy Ridge sight for hunting, the sight picture is a LOT more open and clear than the sights with the pins from the side...I shoot the Matrix GS and LOVE it, I've been shooting Trophy Ridge for about 5 years now and have had no complaints...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank yall for the information. trying to get back into the swing of things with bow hunting. i appreciate all the insight

kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts