Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about taking the test for my captains license.Anyrecommendations fora local prep class for the test?

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Which Lic.? 6-pack or 100 ton??

Passport Marine and Sea School in Bayou La Batre give the 100 Ton. Cap'n Casey is like $100 or so higher then Sea School but if you count your Gas and staying in Bump F^*k Egypt PLUS you can be home everynight I would pay the extra money and takeCap'n Casey's course.

I don't know about the other that was recommended.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Captain Drew at Far Horizons is great. This guy is young but knows his stuff. He spent many years working with the coast guard before having a major back injury at work. He knows the ins and outs of the entire process. I took mine a few months ago with him, and anytime I have had questions he either answers them or finds the answer and gets back with me. Very well run business and his personal touch is great. As far as pre study I would brush up on your buoys and lights. He covers everything really well and makes sure you fully understand the rules and regs. Good luck and just make sure you have plenty of hours prior to taking the class.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey this is Capt. Casey with Passport Marine. I have drifted away from the Forum for a while and just recently popped in to see what was going on. If you haven't already taken a class for your license, give me a call at either 850.455.8833 (office) or 850.380.3083 (cell). Any way you go, hope its a pleasent experience. We are located in Pensacola and offer the classes every month.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I recommend that you take one of the local classes to get the help that you need with some of the questions. Many years back we studied from books and then had to drive over to New Orleans to take the exam. It is a miserably long trip back if you fail the exam at the REC.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey this is Capt. Casey with Passport Marine. I have drifted away from the Forum for a while and just recently popped in to see what was going on. If you haven't already taken a class for your license, give me a call at either 850.455.8833 (office) or 850.380.3083 (cell). Any way you go, hope its a pleasent experience. We are located in Pensacola and offer the classes every month.
Hey Casey when are you coming back to work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My days of working offshore are over I'm afraid. After 11 knee surgeries and the kindness of a stranger (I received new Meniscus from a cadaver) my knees won't take it. The winter weather is just too much. I am looking at possibly doing some work out there for the summers, but even that is a little far fetched. So for now, I will be teaching and trying to develop new courses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts