Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't posted a report in a few weeks so I thought I would share some info on what is happening around the bay and how my fishing has been.

Speckled Trout- Early morning trout bite has been pretty hot. Most of the fish range in size from 12" to around 20". The grass beds in the sound have been the most consistent area to fish. We fish from daylight until about 7:30 before moving into deep water. My bait of choice is a skitterwalk or any type of suspending hard bait. I love mirrodines!! Most of the fish have been in 3 to 6ft of water so try and back off the shoreline and fish a little deeper. Also, you can never go wrong with a popping cork and a live shrimp!

Redfish- The bite has been hit or miss. When it's on it's great! However, the water has to be moving or they won't feed. Redfish are effected by the tide more so than any other fish in our bay system. If you can learn the tides then you can catch redfish. This especially holds true when targeting them around bridges, deep water jetties, and structure. My bait of choice has been bull minnows, pinfish, or finger mullet.

Flounder- I like just the opposite for flounder that I like for redfish. When targeting flounder, I like a slow moving tide. This will allow the flounder time to easily catch your bait, giving you more hookups. Lately, we have been finding them on deepwater structure around the pass. Most of the fish are on the smaller side ranging from 1 to 3lbs. Live shrimp and bullminnows get the job done best!

Spanish- They have been plentiful to say the least! On Monday, there was a 3 mile school that went from inside the pass all the way out past the number 1 sea buoy. Even though there was 50,000 fish in that school, getting them to bite was a little tough. A got cha lure proved most successful for us. We also caught them trolling Clark Spoons and Speck Rigs. One of the fish we boated weighed in at 6 1/2lbs which was the largest spanish of the year on my boat.

Kings- Kings have been mixed in with the spanish. The number 1,2,3, and 4 sea bouyes have been holding a few fish in the 8 to 15lb range. I haven't seen anything much bigger in several weeks. The mass or any other nearshore wrecks have been holding small fish as well. I have been getting most of mine freelining live cigs while snapper fishing on nearshore wrecks.

Tournaments- Lance and I fished the budlight last Saturday and won! We caught right at 14lbs which was good enough for 1st place. Budlight morning was one of the best trout bites I have been on in a quite sometime. We caught lots of 4lb fish and broke off several that were larger than the 5.5lb fish we weighed in. Everything just seemed to go our way. We had all three of our fish in the boat by 7:15 that morning. Big thanks to Mark, Chris, and all of the others invlolved in putting on yet another great tournament. Can't wait to see what is in store for the Budlight next year!

Capt Brant

Attachments

·
Bearded Brotula
14,149 Posts
That's a nice spanish!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Big Spanish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts