Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post on the site but have been reading for a while. It has been a great resource as my son and I try our hand at offshore fishing.

We recently bought an 01 Cape Horn 24 OS...it is awesome. There are a few minor things I want to improve, and the one that is nagging me is the anchor locker up front. Its odd to have that large front hatch open with the rode hanging out of it. Was thinking maybe putting in a hawse pipe and trying to store where the vertical hatch is.

Has anyone done something like this? Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome to the PFF. I too am a recent addition but was a non member visitor for about two years before I signed up. What a great group of people here. I am sure someone with knowledge will respond to your question. The only thing I can recommend is save the anchor in the hold and just get an I-Pilot. It will be the best money you ever spend on a boat. Just make sure you get the right one. After using one, I decided I will never go fishing again without one. I cant tell you how many times we move up or back on a site 5 or 10 feet that makes all the difference in catching or just fishing. Congrats on getting a CH 24 OS, that is a nice boat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the 2016 22OS and hated the anchor locker setup. I added a divider where I can slide the anchor in its own pocket and the rope is all piled in the front of the divider.

I will have to dig out pics of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, was already thinking about the Ipilot. Do they go overtop of the bow rail? Any issue with still throwing an anchor out front with the Ipilot installed? Guessing I would need 24-36V version?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I believe most boats with bow rails have to cut out a section or 2 to fit the ipilot properly, if you dont wanna remove the entire thing. Go with the ipilot or rhodan, dont even think twice about it...you and your son will have way better fishing stories

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just keep in mind that, according to what I was told, Rhodan doesn't have any local repairs available. If you need repairs you'll be shipping the unit.

For a 24 foot boat, you'd want a 36v trolling motor. Make sure you get a long enough shaft to keep the prop in the water while the bow is pitching up and down.

My trolling motor's steering mechanism recently went out, and I had to use the anchor for the last few trips during snapper season. Most of my spots are pretty small, so being off by 30 feet makes or breaks it. I spent more time trying to get the boat positioned just right than I did fishing. The iPilot is a luxury that if you can at all do it, you should.

Reactions: LY-zer

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Do they go overtop of the bow rail?

Nope....Rail is in the way...Must be removed and holes filled.

Don't even think of Cutting rail and "Rigging" it. :(

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,981 Posts
.....Don't even think of Cutting rail and "Rigging" it. :(

This is the PFF man, not some yacht world.

Accept that challenge or your redneck card might just get revoked :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yeah I’ll get the dremel out and maybe cover the sharp edges with some marine tex. Or duct tape a keystone light can over the cut. I have done worse.

Actually, I want to reserve the bow space if possible for hanging out at ft mcrae... Was thinking I might be able to remove the bow roller and mount the ipilot at an angle. The bow rails have an opening at the roller anyway. Youtube has a bunch of videos of ipilots offset mounted on an aluminum plate, but it seems like the spray would be a problem when transiting in chop.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had an old Sea Pro that I took to a welder, he cut the forward section out of the rail and put brackets on each end that fit together and were held in place by a pin (when or if I ever wanted to put the bow rail back in place, which I never did). I punched a hole in a couple tennis balls and popped them on the cut rail sections up front, and the trolling motor I had mounted at an angle to keep from covering the anchor locker. I wish I had pictures but I don't have the boat anymore.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,981 Posts
....I punched a hole in a couple tennis balls and popped them on the cut rail sections up front......

That's more like it!

Don't listen to those naysayers about you shouldn't this and shouldn't that.

You get a good idea how to customize something on the cheap, roll with it.

If not, you'll be one of those guys that actually finishes a project within a decade. Don't be that guy :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts